The Planted Tank Forum banner

I learned a new word - paludarium! lol

8K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  tzen 
#1 ·
I'd always called my 100 gallon paludarium a terrarium - even though it had a fully filtered 15 gallon fish tank as it's "pond" because I never even knew there was a different word for that sort of a set up until just now!

How cool to discover that they are in fact their OWN little niche with their own terminology! It's exciting to see that there are so many other people out there that are just like me and that adore building these kinds of things!

This forum is awesome! Totally has been opening my eyes on so much already!

#2 ·
Have you checked out any of Hydrophyte's ripariums?

There seems to be some disagreement between forum members about the difference between ripariums and paludariums, but in any case, put riparium in the search bar and go check some of them out.

There are a couple of other members here with nice ripariums, but Hydro probably has the most threads.

#3 ·
Oh wow - so make that TWO words! So ripariums are ones that mimic "riverbanks" whereas paludariums incorporate both aquatic and terrarium aspects in the same tank.

So I guess a riparium would be a specific "type" of paludarium!

#5 ·
yup it's a little hazy on definitions... in europe, a paludarium is called a riparium, but i disagree.

i always thought of them like this:

terrarium: mimics desert

vivarium: mimics forest (can have water feature, but it is small, usually a pool or stream)

paludarium: mimics riverbank in a forest or desert and has more than 33% water. also has full land section with dirt and such.

riparium: riverbank without actual land. the plants are in planters on the back of the tank and in rafts.

#14 ·
yup it's a little hazy on definitions... in europe, a paludarium is called a riparium, but i disagree.

i always thought of them like this:

terrarium: mimics desert

vivarium: mimics forest (can have water feature, but it is small, usually a pool or stream)

paludarium: mimics riverbank in a forest or desert and has more than 33% water. also has full land section with dirt and such.

riparium: riverbank without actual land. the plants are in planters on the back of the tank and in rafts.
Close! There are certainly some interchangable aspects and some looseness about these terms.

Vivarium is the most inclusive of all the terms. It is any enclosure that has life in it, flora or fauna. So all aquariums, terrariums, paludariums and ripariums are vivariums.

A terrarium is something that is (mostly) land based. Could be desert like with a tarantula, could be like a rain-forest floor. I would argue that if it is mostly land with a small waterfall or a small puddle it is still a terrarium, just one with a water feature.

A paludarium -- I think you got it about right on. Not sure about the exact percent water, but if the water is part is big enough for some fish to swim around and live in it, it qualifies in my mind.

And for a riparium, just think of an aquarium that is only half full, with plants that grow out of the water by design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivarium

#6 ·
ohh nice! I called anything that had dirt or land in it a terrarium, and never knew there were growing niches for various climates ... what would say a bog, or a swamp/wetlands be called?

Or like say a root system? Like mandrakes?

#9 ·
I see no difference between palud and a riparium and a viv most the time....the semantics are hazy and IMO I think that really the delineation is from a business stand point (from a certain member on this site). But I'm not going to be pointing fingers. In short - It's not important.

#12 ·
A terrarium is a tank (open air or closed air) that mimics a environment for specific plants, rather for cloud orchids or moss. It makes a ecosystem for that plant.

A vivarium is a tank that mimics a environment for a specific animal( like a dart frog or snake).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.