My 1st Riparium! - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Fuzz-16 - mine as well! I have a few ideas to cover up the sides better (a small plant holder made out of a black film canister, black plastic mesh and a magnet with bacopa in front of the intake). And then when the rest of the plants to the right fill in - it will look much better. I think I am also going to cover the sides in black film to see if that makes it look a bit cleaner. Anyway its been a fun super easy project using left over aquarium stuff and is ultra low maintenance - no fish and light dosing once a week and only one water change since I set it up. I only top it off every three days and the water parameters are stable so far. I think I am a Riparium Junkie now, everyone should have one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Planted Member

The tank looks great. That waterfall is awesome. What is the viny plant growing on the trellis? I need to get something like that.
post #33 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks mdreher! Actually I have no idea what it is, I found it in my back yard growing below my roses when I was pulling weeds. It looked like it might have potential so I stuck in in the tank and its doing reasonable well. There are two other plants on that raft that came from my yard or plant pots - and they all seem pretty happy. I am hoping the one that resembles a vine will eventually make a good cover for the side of the waterfall... slow growing but maybe one day
post #34 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 02:09 AM
Planted Member

That's cool you found something in your yard. I hope it fills in for you. That would be pretty sweet. If it takes off for ya and you end up needing to get rid of some I'd be glad to help you out. Hopefully at that point I may have something to trade for it By the way is the floating plant pretty easy to manage? I've heard duckweed can be a pain, but that looks bigger.
post #35 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If it does make it - I'd be happy to share it! I forget the name of the floater but due to its size it is very easy to deal with, unlike the dreaded duck week - which I got back in the tank thru a recent purchase - ugh. but constant removal takes care of the duck weed after a few weeks. The stiff I have is over run from another tank and the shrimp love it since it puts out underwater roots, that IMO look pretty cool - but it does grow /split fast and good for shading low light plants
post #36 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Planted Member

what type of light are you using? sorry i probably missed in the thread somewhere
post #37 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ha - nope you didn't miss it - I don't think I ever mentioned it! right now I am using an Ott-light floor lamp from my sewing room - the bulb is special to the light but it appears to be a full spectrum 16 inch T5 NO (somewhere around 23w). The company does not rate their bulbs in Kelvin (I called) but did say that it was full spectrum. If I forget to turn it on, the plants start reaching for the window light and when I turn it back on the grow towards the light instead. So I think the plants are happy except for one. I added a 26w spiral bulb over the Baby Panda Bamboo as it appeared it was not getting enough light. Can't quite tell if it's working yet as its only been a few weeks with the added light and I am just starting to see a new little shoot coming in.

I do have to admit that I ordered two of the BoostLED PAR 30 Lamp Kits that should arrive tomorrow - I wanted a cleaner look and plan to add one to this tank and the other for another Riparium I've got in the works. I'm very curious to see how they will work.
post #38 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Planted Member

How close to starting that other tank are you? Are you going to add a waterfall to that one as well? You'll have to let us know once you get it started.
post #39 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am getting so very close, now I just need a bit of free time - tank in hand, lighting arrived save and sound, picked up black foam, canister filter bought, 1/2 plants arrived and now playing with wood and waterfall lay out. Trying to figure out how to make it more natural and incorporate plants closer to the waterfall this time. Thinking I will place "pockets" around the waterfall to hold smaller plants like bacopa. I'm trying to take more time in the lay out side to get a more natural look but I am still smitten with the waterfall idea as you can tell :0)
post #40 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 02:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Any hint on the tank's size, dimmensions, plants, inhabitants?

I really wanna know! Since my other 2.5gal is now empty, I want to do a riparium/paludarium.

Currently out of the hobby
Forum lurking every now and then
post #41 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey Pinoyboy - Thanks for asking, Yup! 24x14x14 (i don't have a lot of space to work with in my house) It's glass with a starfire front. The side and back will be covered in black film I picked up awhile ago.

The lighting is two BoostLED PAR30 Reef Lamp Kits with 3 Neutral White, 2 Cool White, 60 Degree optics.

I hope to have the basic structure done this weekend so the silcone can sit for a week before adding water.
post #42 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm just discovering ripariums and am reading these older threads. The more I see people do with them, the bigger the tank I start to consider.

sox

post #43 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi Sockfish, You'll be happy if you do join the great world of Riparium fans! I am still in love with mine and very close to setting up the new tank. I would agree that the largest you can get is the best. The little 8g I have it a tad to small (which is why I opted for a bigger tank for the next one. the Mr Aqua 17g is very close in size to the new one I am setting up and the size looks great for a mid sized riparium. so much more room!

Do join in on the fun; the maintenance is a breeze and the set up so simple! Hope to see you setting one up soon!
post #44 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yup, I'm in. I ordered a little starter pack from hydrophyte's Riparium Supply and it's on it's way. I want to use some cool Petoskey stones I gathered on local beaches in it. My tank choices are:

29 gal bowfront

20 gal long

10 gal

12 gal GLA 9x8x36 [my super special tank waiting for inspiration but probably too short for riparium use]

5 gal hex

Decisions, decisions........

sox

post #45 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ewwww... Choices., the tough part! I'd say the 29g for the size, I think in the long run you'll be happy with the space. Or the 20g long... A bit short but if you keep the water about 2/3 to 3/4 full you'd probably have space for plants but a bit short for water inhabitants/plants.

The tank I am setting up is 14inches tall so the plants will grow above/out of the tank eventually (I prefer this look) and still gives me about 9-10 inches of water space with about 1inch id gravel...

Time to start a riparium thread so we can watch it progress. What plants are you wanted to add?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode