The Planted Tank Forum banner

question about drainage in land portion of paludarium/vivarium

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Nate McFin 
#1 ·
hi,

i'm thinking about setting up a paludarium. i wanted to separate the land and water areas and completely seal them off from one another to prevent water logging and such. the problem is that my tank is not drilled and i have no idea how to provide drainage for the land areas. i can't just have water drain out the bottom and i don't want it to collect there.

my idea was to make a false bottom out of egg crate and put in a small pvc tube so that as the water drains down it will fall into the small space created by the egg crate and i can just put a siphon hose down the pvc tube and suck up the extra water.

is this a good/possible idea? what do you guys do for this?

#3 ·
I think the best method is to use an overflow drain for the water section, so it does not over flow into the land section and also, it will maintain the water level at a constant level. For the land section, it is best to have a drilled bottom so that you can drain the land side.

Here is how I did it with my tank. My tank was only drilled on one side, in hind site I wish I had bought a tank that was drilled on both sides.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/t...50-paludarium-construction-photo-journal.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.