The Planted Tank Forum banner

EVA Foam - safe in riparium / aquarium?

10K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ackphft 
#1 ·
Hello

I will be converting my aquarium to a riparium over the next two days and I want to make my own trellis rafts.

These are the kind I'm talking about:

I've looked at tons of pictures of them and it looks to me like they're made out of EVA foam. Does anyone know if that's truly what they're made out of? I have a bunch of EVA foam floor mats that I could cut into trellis rafts - I just wanted to make sure it's safe before I make them.

These are the mats I'm referring to:

See less See more
#4 ·
Not really sure what materials are being used in the photos. Give it a try! I believe there was some controversy in the past about Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (being riddled with formamide). With that being said: EVA is being used today in reusable food storage bags and baby teethers. I would think it would be safe in an aquarium or riparium.

#5 ·
Eva stands for ethylene ethyl acetate. Beside foam, they also come in the form of hot glue stick, sandals, handle etc
EVA is also used in[censored]biomedical engineering[censored]applications as a[censored]drug delivery[censored]device.[censored]
I think it should be safe

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.