The Planted Tank Forum banner

Non-toxic paludarium building materials/foam?

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  toadpher 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what materials/foam people use to build up the land parts of a paludarium?

#2 ·
Material choices are most likely going to depend on your land area design & budget. How big of a footprint are you planning for your land area (horizontal or vertical land plane)? What types of flora & fauna are you planning to use within your Paludarium? Lots of easily obtainable materials are available (eggcrate, Great Stuff or similar type foams, glass, acrylic, wood, rocks, Hygrolon, EpiWeb, etc.) depending on how creative you want to get.

I really like the design of this Paludarium that has more of a vertical design. It looks like it would be fairly easy to fabricate:

A couple of interesting articles (including the above picture) can be found here ~ Freshwater Aquaria: Considerations for Constructing and Operating the Paludarium, Part 1 ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog and here ~ Freshwater Aquaria: Considerations for Scaping and Stocking the Paludarium, Part 2 ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

How is your Paludarium (Paludarium Paradise v2.0:55g) progressing?

#3 ·
Thank you for the info! I'll have to check those out. This is for the 55g. I completely tore it down after I got what I think was a parasite that came in with some Amano shrimp and killed my toad. :( gonna do a complete redo again and this time do it right. Going all in with a heavy emphasis on aesthetics. I'll make another thread when I start. Also need to start a thread on the 60g now that it's a full aquarium.

Bump: Thank you for the info! I'll have to check those out. This is for the 55g. I completely tore it down after I got what I think was a parasite that came in with some Amano shrimp and killed my toad. :( gonna do a complete redo again and this time do it right. Going all in with a heavy emphasis on aesthetics. I'll make another thread when I start. Also need to start a thread on the 60g now that it's a full aquarium.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.