The Planted Tank Forum banner

How much moisture for geosesarma?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dr_Hoatzin 
#1 ·
I am setting up a vivarium for geosesarma crabs that I hope to get. I am wondering how wet do I need the substrate?

#3 ·
I asked dendroboard about crabs, but didn't get any replies from owners. Just guesses. I guess not many people are housing them?

I got a setup going in the making. I have got some clay, then soil with pennywort, creeping jenny, polkadot plant, pothos and some rosewood root, a random fish cave I found in the front yard, some random gravel and rocks, some leaf litter. All boiled or bleached except dirt and plants of course.

I am trying to find what else I need to do, like water feature or how often to mist. I am not in any hurry.

#4 ·
Geosesarma crabs have around the same requirements as dart frogs so a humidity of around 80% - 100% is ideal I would imagine it can be a little lower if they have access to water. Everything that I read before I got mine says they are mostly terrestrial and only go into water to molt. I have found that to be completely false as mine are in the water all the time.

That being said they are an awesome display animal if you'd like I have my tank journal for my enclosure in my signature if you are looking for any ideas.

#5 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience. I set up something different than previously. It is a paludarium more than vivarium.

I will have to re read your journal. I don't think I will be getting any crabs soon, or maybe never. They are really neat. I have too much going on right now though.

#6 ·
I have a breeding group of Geosesarma dennerle and they almost never go into the water--maybe twice in two years. The pal runs 60-90% humidity with the substrate consistently damp. The tiny juvies seem to spend more time near the waterfall than adults, but whether that is for the moisture or simply due to better foraging in that area is undetermined.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.