The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Mitch P's 75 Gallon Jungle ( UPDATED 2/9/13)
View Single Post
post #40 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
mitch p
Algae Grower
Hey guys! I am back with another update of the tank! Today was a big day! Had to do a water change, spot treat some algae spots with Excel and cleaned the glass of the tank. But no trimming this week. So I decided to show some of my methods for water changing and then show the tank!

For Starters, it is always good to have a wingman or a wing-woman. This is vital to your success. Here's mine:

Next We go on to taking out the water of the tank:
The water goes into a bucket on a board on wheels xD. Its a 25-30g bucket ( I really can't remember which one ). I then just wheel the bucket out towards back yard and use some powerheads to water flowers and other things
I have 2 of these buckets at the moment, one for taking water out, and one for putting it back in.

So at this point ( around 2 buckets full of water is out so roughly 50 gallons of water ) is out of the tank. This is when I took just a small medicine pipette and started spot treating some of the problem algae spots. I choose to use this method for algae spots as opposed to treating the whole tank just out of safety. I also clean the glass as best I can at this point as well!

Next comes filling the tank back up. Remember that massive bucket I used to take out the water? Well I use another to put water back into the tank! I simply roll it over to my water source, fill up some 5 gallon buckets from home depot and pour them in. I then take a power head and use it fill the tank back up.

I use my Magnetic Algae scrubber as a way to kind of break up the flow of the output from the powerhead.

It takes quite a while to fill the tank back up, but it keeps from disturbing my fish and it makes life easier!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome