The Planted Tank Forum banner

6g to 12g edge talk log

25K views 52 replies 8 participants last post by  AnonAnona 
#1 ·
So about a month ago i decided to get a tank again. I started with a 6G fluval edge. After about 3 weeks I decided to upgrade the tank to the 12G
version.

Revision1. - 6g Edge

The new tank - 12g edge (same base but twice the height)

It defiantly needs more work and tall plants but its a start (and yes i need to move the themonitor.. i kinda forgot about it when i was filling the tank)

The current stocking list:
3x zebra danios
4x neon teras
1x crystal shrimp
1x red fire shrimp?
1x apple snail

I'm hoping to get 10-12 CPD's and 10-12 yellow shrimp in the near future

I would also like to add in some kind of grass/moss carpet and some taller plants to fill in the back

See less See more
#31 ·
Time for a big update to the master log post :)

So the 12G edge has been redone with about 2" of miracle grow organic potting soil caped with an inch or two of Eco-complete and a bunch more plants. Everything seems to be growing well. The inhabitants are still the 4 neons, 12 CPD's, 10 pumpkin shrimp (although i can only find 8...) and a nerite snail.

I'm much happier with the dark substrate!

12g tank

I'm really happy with how the tree is filling in.

Some CPD's

neons

Pumpkin Shrimp

The Apple/Nerite snail

Back in the 5G Fry/PFR shrimp tank....The fry are getting big.. and actually look like fish!

and a fire red

I also decided I would try to breed some shrimp and picked up 4x 10 gallon tanks. They may double duty as fry tanks if i am sucessful enough at breeding CPD

CRS/CBS Tank

CBS

CRS

Yellow Shrimp Tank

Red Rilli Tank

CPD Breeding tank - new technique i'm attempting

#39 · (Edited)
haha why thank you.. i'm getting a smoking deal on it too :D

I'm not sure yet on the co2.., is it worth it? I have been having great success with out so i'm not quite convinced i need it yet.

i'm still hung up on what to use for the substrate.. leaning towards MGOPM capped with eco-complete (since it worked so well in the edge) or fluorite black how ever that will cost me probably 150$ which seems excessively expensive for substrate so still hunting for black pea gravel which doesn't seem to exist.

I'm guessing i would need 4-5 bags for a 48x18" tank.

Flourite black $27/15.5lb bag x5 135.. ouch!
Eco-complete $35/20lb bag x5 175.. bigger ouch!
Also found some stuff called clear water pebbles which is decent.. just a tad bit on the shiny side for me.. but its the cheaper backup plan at 21$/20lb bag (this may actually be the same stuff in the yellow shrimp tank above)

#40 ·
I have the flourite black, it's ok for smaller tanks. What I hate about it is the colour turns a bit "light".

Depends on the type of plants you want to keep if you want to go Co2, it could be done without it. But I guess you know who to ask for Co2 advice. :D

#41 ·
At the moment no co2 and medium light but you never know. I may splurge one day.
If floirite black goes lighter then maybe I will do Eco complete since they work pi to about the same price per pound and black pea gravel is impossible to find. Do u have pick of floirite black in your tank?

#44 ·
I'm still experimenting with different methods. Right now i'm using a DIY egg trap which is working well.

I'm feeding them a mix of Hickary first bites, baby brine shrimp and a few drops of liquid fry now and then.. so far it seems to be going well. I have tons of tiny fry that seem to be doing well :)

#45 ·
I removed the Cabomba and pulled these out of the Chi to add a more vibrant color to the edge

I decided to impulse by a dozen Boraras urophthalmoides (Exclamtion mark Rasboras)
These guys a super tiny and i figured they would be good buddy's for the CPD's since i moved the Harlequins and Neons to the Osaka Forest tank

One of my CPD's checking out the upper grounds.

I also picked up some Echinodorus Tenellus to try as a foreground/carpet style low light plant

#48 ·
Sound good, they look awesome. I bet once you get that sexy Fluval 84G, the Edge is going to take a back seat. That kind of what happen to my 6 gallon, the 60P became my main focus. Things actually started to grow better when I miss a few days of dosing, weird.

#49 ·
That already kind of happened! haha... the Edge still does get some love.. i did a a bit of a minor re-scape today :)

Check out my Osaka Forest tank log

I'm horrible at remebering to dose the tanks in the mornings... so the next projected is going to be an automated dosing system :)

#50 ·
Today I added another female pfr shrimp and 4 Dario Dario's (Red Indian scarlet badis). They are micro predators and very curious. I love to watch them explore.

I think the tank is probably a little overstocked now and may have to move some fish out later (tons of fish but all super tiny) they seem to be happy for now :)

#51 ·
CPD's

Shift
I like these very much and have a question. When you first got them were they kind of washed out and did their real color come in quickly or over a period of time.
Also what type parameters are you keeping them in.
I have seen some here locally but they dont seem to have the intense color yours do. Also they are a bit shy right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.