The Planted Tank Forum banner

Anybody got a handle on a good interval timer?

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  m00se 
#1 ·
When I was doing reef I had a Neptune controller that had a "feed" button on it that stopped all the pumps for a short period to let the food float around a bit.

I would really like that function again. Anybody point me towards something like that? A kit even?

TIA!

#3 ·
My idea is that I can push a button and have the unit stop the pump for a set time, like 15 minutes, to allow the fish to feed. Then turn back on automatically. I have to do it manually now and once or twice I managed to forget to turn the pumps back on. I guess you can figure out the rest :-(

I don't want to buy a $200 controller unit that does 500 other things I'll never need, just for this convenience, ya know?

Thanks for the idea though...I am googling like a champ!

Cheers

#10 ·
Tell me about it. Looking at a controller that simply allows for dimmable LEDs via a 0-10V output.

Neptune will do it - but not for less than $300.

I could enjoy using the web interfaces of the neptune, and I have a dosing pump and a pH controller - but it's $500 for the full kit. I might pass.

#5 ·
Failing that, maybe hooking everything up to one of those powerstrips that have an on/off switch.

You'd have to turn it on again, so it's not quite as nice...
er, nevermind- I just reread your post and realized this is pretty much the problem...

maybe find one of those light/shower/fan timers that they use in public bathrooms and such, and try to flip it so it turns something off instead of on? (I haven't seen the innards of these, so I don't know, but most seem to be mechanical timers connected to a switch)

#6 ·
The BOM as well as his circuit diagram appears quite simple to do; you could probably order the components and then test on a (solderless) protoboard first before going a more expensive route (PCB, etc).

Or, you could just solder onto a plain old protoboard and put the whole contraption into a project box.

#12 ·
There are delay timer kits available that you can re-use for this purpose.

Here is one example: http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/timers/canuk249M2.htm

I ordered a few similar ones from a different place some years ago, I remember they were less than $10 a pop though.

You can connect these to a relay, which in turn will switch off and on things, like for example a power strip. You need to read up to make sure they will work for this purpose, as there are variations of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.