The Planted Tank Forum banner

Are PAR meter's expensive ?

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  sowNreap 
#1 ·
Im sorry if this should be in the lighting thread.
Ive always assumed that PAR meters are very expensive , which is why hardly anybody owns one. A quick look on Amazon is showing them from $30 + , am i looking at the wrong things or what ?

#4 ·
I figured it had to be the wrong item. What about a PAR meter without a waterproof sensor, would they be a lot cheaper ?

#7 ·
#9 ·
Although I have not joined a local club, which I should, that's how a lot of people get their hands on one. Their club has one and once you get involved, you are able to borrow it. Another option is to rent one but you will find they have an insanely high deposit, which makes sense because that's how much the things cost.

I haven't looked into DIY options myself but they do exist. My main reason for not doing so is it's a bit overwhelming, especially if you haven't used a real one before and have nothing to compare to. I may make a DIY par meter at some point but I feel I need to at least have a popular light fixture to compare it too. I do have one but I would have to replace the bulbs, making it not too cost effective to me at the moment.

#10 ·
Here's Hoppy's thread about converting a Lux meter into a cheap PAR meter: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=179789&highlight=par+meter

You can also use the Lux meter in open air .. NOT in water .. to get an idea of the PAR for your fixture and to find the optimal height it needs to be for your situation (such as if you want high light or low light). You take the lux reading and divide by 76 to get PAR. Then add about 10% more due to the slight focusing effect of the air to water interface. The Mastech Lux meter on Amazon runs about $15-20.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.