So I finally got the plumbing and everything to the point where I feel comfortable leaving the house or going to sleep without worrying about everything flooding. New pump works great and is much quieter than the old one. I even had to turn the flow down a little bit so that my standpipe will still work properly.
In other news, I think I finally found the wood I'm going to use! It's a pair of cypress knees that I found on a hike today. They are pretty good sized but looking at my tank now, they might need adjustment to fit height-wise. They are relatively slender so I still might use a piece of the wood I collected earlier to fill things out.
It's coming together!