The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - I want to do C02! I need something easy enough for idiots
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 03:53 AM
Algae Grower
Originally Posted by Wayne Dwops View Post
sorry i read the primer to PRESSURIZED co2. See, I am an idiot. Like I said I don't really get how pressurized CO2 works. I mean I get it, but I don't get the system. I see these "all in one" kits but they never seem to actually contain everything. Is there an easy kit that is recommended? I really don't want a huge fancy set up for my small tank..
Your not necessarily an idiot for not understanding. It is kind of complicated at first. There are really only a couple of main parts to it

The Tank - Holds your liquid co2. They come in two styles, Paintball and full size. A paintball tank uses an ASA fitting to go to the regulator and can be filled at almost any paintball field. A full size tank is normally referred to by how many pounds of liquid co2 it holds (10 pound tanks are pretty common) Full size tanks use a fitting called a cga-320 valve.

Co2 regulator - changes the pressure from 800psi in the tank down to a more comfortable "working range" of 0-100psi

Bubble counter - Not really required but it helps you dial in your flow. Let's you see how much is going into the tank in an easily measurable way.

Needle valve - Allows you to fine tune your flow coming from the co2 regulator before it gets to the fish tank.

Solenoid - Allows you to turn on and off the flow of co2 using electricity. It can be hooked up to a timer allow the co2 to be turned on and off with the lights.

Those are the basic parts of the system.

The Tinker Tank Sessions
"20 The Long Way"
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome