The Planted Tank Forum banner

Please critique my tank before I go ahead

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Farmer 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I found some great wood on my farm and finally it was something I could use in my tank that wasn't too big.

I came up with this after some fiddling around with rocks and such...

Branch Wood Twig Trunk Art

It wasn't quite right. The 'gap' in the islands was too far left to fit the thirds lines I strung up. I like the shape of the rocks on the right in this more than the modified one. But I can work with them.

after the change I have this...

Branch Wood Twig Trunk Art

This conforms better with the rule of thirds.

Branch Art Twig Wood Pet supply

I want to use a dark substrate like Amazonia. The black rocks may well be changed. I had pale grey ones in and it looked bad but it could have just been because of the background. But maybe with plants things might change. I do like dark. I'm mainly interested in comments about the shape and placement etc. Any suggestions welcome. if you have an idea about rocks etc I have a lot to choose from.

The white is just the bottom of the tank. I presume this will be contrasting gravel but I'll see what you guys think.

Linds

See less See more
#3 ·
I think the setup looks great!
The rocks look sperfect, but have you wet them? Rocks hide their true colors til they are wet. Maybe you should wet the lighter rocks, see what they actually look like?
Maybe mix the two colors??
Also, what type of wood is that? regular wood will decay alot faster than DW.

#9 ·
I think the setup looks great!
The rocks look sperfect, but have you wet them? Rocks hide their true colors til they are wet. Maybe you should wet the lighter rocks, see what they actually look like?
Maybe mix the two colors??
Also, what type of wood is that? regular wood will decay a lot faster than DW.
Thanks for the feedback.

I have wet the rocks. The ones in there are charcoal black. They are actually the stuff they use on roads. The lighter colour ones I have tested too, they don't change under water. I don't like mixing rocks in a scape like this because it tends to make the design less attractive. If I was doing a rock riverbed I would. but then they would mainly be the same shape. I think one differing factor is enough.

The wood is the root off a willow (probably) It is light but will last long enough. What do you mean by driftwood? I mean what makes it driftwood and not regular wood?

Linds

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.