Low Temp For CPDs? - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
Low Temp For CPDs?

In about a week the temp should stop getting below 50 degrees in my area. The highs should range from about 60 degrees to 80 with an average of about 68 as a high. I'm trying to breed CPDs and would like to growout the fry outside because of the abundance of small live food in ponds. I have a 100 gallon pond that I'm planning on using. Is getting down to 50 too low? I think in their natural habitat it gets down close to freezing. What is the minimum low temp for them? Also, I have a bunch of 10 gallon containers would I be able to breed small groups of CPDs or other fish in them later in the summer? It shouldn't get too hot because we usually only get about a week of 80 degree weather in July and the rest of the summer it's about 75.
Thank you,
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd wait until the weather hit high 60's AT NIGHT at the very least if you're breeding CPD's. Here in Arkansas, CPD's are still pretty expensive, so putting them outside when it's colder than warm weather conditions (we regularly hit 100+ in the summer) seems quite risky to me. What I've been doing in preparation for my Danio tinwini, is sticking white cloud mountain minnows in the tubs beforehand, then when the weather gets warm enough, pulling the minnows, waiting 4 days (to allow mosquitoes and insects to lay eggs for the fish), and then putting in the more expensive fish. Any extra WCMM can go to the pictus catfish and convict cichlid if needs must.

As for the 10 gallon containers, are these buckets, pots, aquariums, what are they? You could probably grab any small groups of fish and put them in one of those containers, then switch them every week to maximize fry production.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
Weather conditions in their natural habitat get down to the 40s in the winter. Has anyone had first hand experience with putting them outside here? What were the temp swings?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:31 AM
Planted Member
I would be more concerned with minimizing the swing and not letting it get too hot. I don't think they'll do well or breed once the temp gets above 76. I would stick to larger containers to minimize the swings
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 09:10 PM
Algae Grower
I also live in the PNW and I partially bury my 100 gal tub to keep the water cool and stable in case we hit the 90's. Our temps swing quickly so try to keep your pond partially or totally shaded if you don't need the sun for plants.

It possible, do not have splashing water, like a water-fall...it attracts raccoons, herons, and other hunters of fish.

I have CPD also and like your idea of ponding them during our brief 6 or 7 weeks of summer.

Avid designer, rookie traveler, champion sleeper.
Motivated by fun.

"Slow is stable, and stable is lasting".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode