Wingsdlc container pond UPDATE: 6.4.09 - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
Update time in pond world!!

The plants seem to be doing well. The only algae issue is that I get a little floating blue green stuff every at the top. The plants seem to be doing well and the fish are doing great. I have a lot of baby Paradise Fish and my baby BN is growing up fast than his brothers and sisters in the planted tank. I guess they have more competition. Thats all for now.

Feel free to post questions, comments and concerns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Children Boogie

what's the plant in the top pot... Too bad we have a month or 2 left to pack up the plants for the winter.

post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Do you have anything for water movement?
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Wingsdlc, you have given me the inspiration to do the same thing for my backyard. I been wanting to add a water feature but havent seen any good container ponds(not that I been looking) to let me take a plunge into it. Looks great.
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

mistergreen,

In the top pot I have a Calla Lily and Creeping Jenny. And yes it is too bad it is almost time to take it down.

over_stocked,

The only water movement is from the fish swimming and wind.

James From Cali,

This container is really easy going. It is a lot of fun to run a more natural system where I let nature take its course a little bit more than in the aquarium. It has proved to work pretty well too with the number of baby Paradise fish I have in there.
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Male Paradise fish, he seems to like to be the center of attention.

Male chasing what looks like a young male.

post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Man this thing is really cool. Have you broken down for winter? I'd really like to try something like this in the spring.

How are you liking NC? Are you buying most of your stuff online? Fintastic in Charlotte is a pretty nice store. I have not been there in a while though. Where did you get the paradise fish? There is really NO water flow in there? How often do you have to change the water?

20 questions for ya...lol. It's nice to see someone in NC. Most everyone else here is in Cali.

29g Journal 10g journal 15g Journal
"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Saraja87
This is an awesome project! I hope you haven't broken it down, it's way too cool. Does it get really cold there?
post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
Man this thing is really cool. Have you broken down for winter? I'd really like to try something like this in the spring.

How are you liking NC? Are you buying most of your stuff online? Fintastic in Charlotte is a pretty nice store. I have not been there in a while though. Where did you get the paradise fish? There is really NO water flow in there? How often do you have to change the water?

20 questions for ya...lol. It's nice to see someone in NC. Most everyone else here is in Cali.
Sorry it has been so long. School has been in full swing and time is limited most days.

The tub has kind of been broken down for quite a while now. We have had a couple days where has gotten down to about 10 degrees or cooler. Many nights dip below the freezing mark. I brought in the paradise fish. Most of the fry were taken to the LFS but there are still some in the 20G long where the parents have spawned 2-3 times since their move. Some of the plants came inside but many I just left outside. They handled the freezing temps for a few nights before melting away. My Alternanthera reineckii actually flowered in the later part of the season.

NC is pretty nice so far when I have time to get out and enjoy it. Most of my plants are bought online from this site or through the LFS I worked in back in MI (they made the trip with me down here). I have been to Fintastic a couple of times but it is a little bit of a hike for some high prices. They do have a ton of plants and fish though. And I do happen to kind of know one of their staff members.

The tub doesn't have any water flow in it. For the most part I think it did really when once the plants settled in.

I also get excited about seeing someone from NC on here. I think it is a great thing to make local connections with other people in the hobby. If you have the time I would highly recommend trying a tub if you get a chance. I had a blast with mine and I am thinking of how I want to set up the next one already.
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Algae Grower

cool pong thingy

I really like your pondtubthing lol I too live in NC but I live in the Triangle area a few miles form Raleigh. I might try this too since spring is coming very soon or is already here. I will be sure to contact you with many questions :]
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Hi, I was wondering if you thought a pair of paradise fish would be best, or could I add another combination? Did you wait until there was visible algae before adding the BN pleco?
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I really don't know if a pair is really best. In the tub there were plenty of hiding places so the female could get away. Right now I have them inside housed in a 20G long. The tank is not nearly as thick as the tub was so the female gets pushed around a bit but I do not see any real damage to the female. They have even spawned in the tank 2-3 times this winter. Depending on how aggressive the male you get is will tell if a pair is best. For me it seems to work well and I have gotten a lot of fry.

The BN pleco was a true experiment in the tub. I actually put to young one inchers in there and they came out at 3+ inches. I would wait until you have some algae growing before adding them. Also you want to make sure the temp. will not swing too low for them. You might not have that problem in Orlando though. When I took the tub down last fall the temp was probably getting down below 60 F and the fish were still doing great.
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here is a quick update on the tub. I really don't have a plan for it this year. I kind of know some of the plants I would like to try but I am not sure where I will be going with it. It is still too cold for my pair of paradise fish so the tub is fishless currently. I am also holding off on adding fish because it looks like we will be moving here in the next few weeks.

I have added Echinodorus angustifolius from my 55G. They were growing every were! I don't think I will leave that many of them in the tub but I thought I would see how they do for now.

Below you can see some stems of rotala I left in the tub over the winter. There are a few sprigs of green starting to pop up. In the next few weeks we will see how they do.
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to suebe333
so this is really a cool idea ,,, now with a pond how closely do you moniter the water ?? or do you at all ?? do you test regularly ? do you do water changes? do you let the rain get to it ?

45G long - Planted- Guppies,cory's,Panda Gara
20G high -brigs,Gouramis,cory's
15G - planted;RCS, albino cory's,& albino bushynose plecos
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to suebe333
OH , and what are the bricks for ?? this might be my next project Teehee

45G long - Planted- Guppies,cory's,Panda Gara
20G high -brigs,Gouramis,cory's
15G - planted;RCS, albino cory's,& albino bushynose plecos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode