The Planted Tank Forum banner

Meganne's ponds

4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  xjasminex 
#1 ·
my koi pond is 3,000 gallons and what I would consider just barely big enough to house 5 adult koi, meaning koi 24" plus. by koikichi standards it to small and to shallow (3 feet deep) but I live in Florida so I don't worry about the weather(freeze) and keep a low stocking level.
currently it is home to 3 koi about 20"-24", the big kohaku might be up to 26", a 18" goishiki, and four 12" dragon koi(2 gotta go soon and the other two will go in the lily pond when they get some size to them)

See less See more
#2 ·
this is a video of my koi before I moved the ochiba named Rootbeer, the shiro(the big black and white koi) and the hi showa(orange with black markings) to the lily pond in the yard
yes Rootbeer is my big piggy! ...click the picture

#4 ·
Wow that was quick, ask and you shall receive. Those are some very healthy and robust koi. Aren't you worried that the alligator will eat them.:biggrin:

Do you care to share more about the design to your ponds filtration and pics of your lily pond? Thanks for sharing, they look very happy and are some nice looking fish.

#7 ·
Wow that was quick, ask and you shall receive. Those are some very healthy and robust koi. Aren't you worried that the alligator will eat them.:biggrin:

Do you care to share more about the design to your ponds filtration and pics of your lily pond? Thanks for sharing, they look very happy and are some nice looking fish.
thank you and no, but I do worry a lot about that big blue bird! between the dog, gator and fishing line I think I got it covered.... but he is a sly ba@#&#rd

#5 ·
this is my 12-13,000 gallon lily pond. both my ponds we built ourselves. but I dug this pond by shovel with the help of two 11 yr old boys, and carried all the stone my self...oi my back, lol!
it is a some what successful attempt of a blended pond...koi and plants, but the koi are winning! they manage to empty my lily pots regardless of my attemts to thwart them. my current plan is birdnetting wrapped tightly across the top of the pots toallow the lilies to grow but keep the koi out of the pot, they like to root for things to snack on and at 26" have a grand time emptying a pot. the netting keeps the plant planted but the koi have sucked most of the stones and clay out of the pots! oh well it keeps them busy I suppose....

#12 ·
this is my 12-13,000 gallon lily pond. both my ponds we built ourselves. but I dug this pond by shovel with the help of two 11 yr old boys, and carried all the stone my self...oi my back, lol!
it is a some what successful attempt of a blended pond...koi and plants, but the koi are winning! they manage to empty my lily pots regardless of my attemts to thwart them. my current plan is birdnetting wrapped tightly across the top of the pots toallow the lilies to grow but keep the koi out of the pot, they like to root for things to snack on and at 26" have a grand time emptying a pot. the netting keeps the plant planted but the koi have sucked most of the stones and clay out of the pots! oh well it keeps them busy I suppose....

" I dug this pond by shovel "

I am surprised you still have elbows because for every ounce of soil in Florida there seems to be a lb of rock .

Your ponds and KOI are stunning.

#6 ·
the green of the lily pond was before I got a uv light running on it. here it is now

flower pot showers with bio balls in them at the top of the stream

dump area or bog for the little pond at the top of the stream. DOCs collect up there(foam) and it makes for an easy water change

2 large sand and gravel filters and my UV lite. the square pond is a settling chamber befor the filters and pump...worthless and need replacing with a cetus sieve

#13 ·
LOL! Lia!
my yard is sand and packed clay, I did hit an area were they must have buried all the left over broken cinder blocks for the house when they built it back in the 60s...I decided the pond needed a shelf in that area! haha.
and the hill with the top pond and steam happened because my neighbors and myself ran out of areas to spread the dirt....I got lazy and just started to pile it there and thought ...I guess I will have a waterfall and steam! hehe.
I put the grand kid to work a little on it too

here are the two in relation to each other. the tree in the corner of the koi pond was removed this spring as was the open framework roof

#15 ·
so the koi pond on the patio has a horrid crack along the entire length of the pond and is now sitting empty waiting for some attention. I think the wicked hard freeze in jan/feb of 2014 did it.
the garden pond in the yard got rebuilt. I added a bottom drain and dug out the shelves so it is all one depth. Added a cetus sieve to the filtration and rebuilt the sand and gravel filters
I need to get the UV plumbed back in to take care of the green waters and s little more gardening and rock work around the water spill way

Bump:

Bump:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.