The Planted Tank Forum banner

My first container pond...

8K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  jhays79 
#1 · (Edited)
My first container pond, I think it's about 25 gallons or so. I have parrots feather, water wisteria, rotalla, and some java fern. I also put pond reeds in there too and some frogbit and duckweed. Yesterday I added three Platies, and a couple of Plecos. . I use a powerhead as a pump to circulate the water fall, and I do decent sized water changes every day.

See less See more
#4 ·
My first container pond, I think it's about 25 gallons or so. I have parrots feather, water wisteria, rotalla, and some java fern. I also put pond reeds in there too and some frogbit and duckweed. Yesterday I added three Platies, and a couple of Plecos. . I use a powerhead as a pump to circulate the water fall, and I do decent sized water changes every day.

OMG….. what the Heck kind of bug is that on the rim of the container?

#7 ·
Thanks for the comments. Those bugs have never bothered me, they seem harmless. i can't find any of the fish in there, not sure if theyre hiding or what. The waterfall is just stacks of slate built up like that. Didn't cost me anything as I had pieces to use laying around. I just stacked them up, and used some bricks to support them underneath inside the container. You can't see the bricks unless you really look.

#8 ·
I have a Whisky Bareel pond going now. It's amazing how much "stuff" finds it's way in there. Lot's of leavers, flowers, twigs, dead floating bugs.

Regular maint. is mandatory on small container ponds. Mine is about 25gl. I do a 6gl water change every other week. and a monthly filter cleaning (rinse out the sponge).

My is only planet with aquarium plants planted in clay pots.

OP - I suggest to try a few other Aquarium plants other than the java fern.

#9 ·
I have a Whisky Bareel pond going now. It's amazing how much "stuff" finds it's way in there. Lot's of leavers, flowers, twigs, dead floating bugs.

Regular maint. is mandatory on small container ponds. Mine is about 25gl. I do a 6gl water change every other week. and a monthly filter cleaning (rinse out the sponge).

My is only planet with aquarium plants planted in clay pots.

OP - I suggest to try a few other Aquarium plants other than the java fern.
I have other aquarium plants in there: rotala, ludwigia, and water wisteria. there's also a little bit of dwarf sag, and some frogbit and pennywort.

#10 ·
Decided I needed some kind of filtration for the pond. This cost about fifteen bucks to make this inline filter. Just some 1.25 PVC, a few bushings and barb fittings. Using the powerhead I have to run the waterfall, I just put this inline. I had a Whisper filter cartridge I took the bag off of, and used it inside the new filter tube.

#11 · (Edited)
Nice job on the inline filter!~

Pretty amazing how well aquarium plants do outside. I have 3-4" clay pots of Blyxa Japonica. The two pots in the WBP are lush & full new growth is coming in with a yellow tint. The third pot in one of my 20L tanks. It's green with maybe 1/2 the growth.

I also have Sagittaria graminea that has just thrown the ariel leaves.

#13 ·
Honestly, the only aquarium plants that have really done semi decent outside in this pond is the Rotala. The other stuff just sort of does nothing. It doesnt die off, but it doesnt grow like crazy. The parrots feather is the nicest plant. I bought that at a local pond supply and garden center. I thought the aquarium plants would grow like mad but theyre not. Yesterday I moved the pond about a foot back more underneath the tree to give it a little less sunand more shade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.