The Planted Tank Forum banner

Dewalltheway's Outdoor Water Garden

7K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  dewalltheway 
#1 ·
Well...after over a year of working on this thing, I finally finished up my water garden. Here are some pics....

See less See more
#5 ·
Very nice! I see a filter box or something on the far end. Can you elaborate on it a bit? How many GPH is your pump pushing? You waterfall is nicely covered in water!
Its cool!!!
Thanks guys!

The filter...you ready....homemade! I will take a pic of it and post, but I used a rubbermaid container and cut eggcrate for dividers. I used AutoCad to draw the skimmer parts and had the company I work for laser out them out of stainless steel that you see in the front. The container is surrounded by 1/2" styrofoam insulation to protect it in the winter for freezing.
I will have to look again on the pump to see how many GPH it is pumping but I wish it was a little more.

#9 ·
This may get redone next year. I really wish I did more research and viewing about how to do waterfalls before I did mine. I do not like how I can see my liner and the waterfall does not create enough sound because it hugs the stone and doesn't drop off them. I also would like to dig it deeper. Things you learn when you do your first one, I guess.

#17 ·
I have a big decision to make with this pond....tear it out and redo it or tear it out and be done with it. I have a hole somewhere that is leaking out water and it could be anywhere. I never liked how I did the waterfall and wanted to redo it but I have spent alot of time on this thing and not sure if I tear it out if I want to spend the time again putting it back together. Don't get me wrong, I loved doing it but man is it alot of work not to mention money to buy a new liner. What to do! spring is around the corner and need to decide.

What do you all think???

#18 ·
I had mine set up for less than a year and I totally redone mine. It was a pain but I wasn't happy with my first pond. Now I want to redo it again, make it bigger, bigger waterfall, more plants, ect. The only thing stopping me is the wife and my (her) money!

I think it's a very nice looking pond, I'm sure it would be even better looking if you redo it.

#27 ·
I am happy with it overall but I am not satisfied with how I did the waterfall and that I can see the liner at the bottom of it so those things I am going to fix...know what you mean about the money!

Redo it! The pond looks great!
Thank you

How deep is your pond? I love how it's tucked next to your deck and house, it looks really sweet!
At it's deepest point it is like 30" deep which I really wanted it deeper so I will be digging it out alot more when I redo it. It does fit very well where it is at but if I wash the siding, it is a pain.

what a nice looking pond!
Thank you

I think you did an awesome job. Assuming that it needs to be redone, my vote is redo it rather than scrap it forever!
Will definitely be redoing it...just need to save some money first.

Beautifully done
Thank you

Can't you just put a new liner in over the old one? Seems like that would be an easy fix. Looks awesome by the way.
I could but there are things I want to change and the biggest work is doing the rocks. I may use some of the existing liner for extra protection.

Great job!
Thank you!

#23 ·
Update: Last night I pulled the fish out of the pond and put them in 2 aquariums I have downstairs. I will be getting a 110 gal Tuff container to put them in this weekend where they will stay till I get money to redo the outdoor pond. I will also be housing some of the submerged plants in that container as well.

I was losing 3" of water per day and can't afford to keep filling it up everyday. Water for me is to expensive. I don't have the funds to redo it right now but will start tearing it apart and digging it out this spring. The new liner & protector will cost me around $400 alone so it will probably be a year before I get this back up and going. Pretty bummed out at the moment.

#28 ·
Well....an update on the pond. Back in March, the pond developed a leak and I was losing 3" of water a day so I went to TSC and bought a 110 gal Tuff Tub and but it in my basement, transfered the fish and shut the pond down. Then in May, I removed all the rock and the liner so I didn't have standing water. Now fast forward to the past week where I transfered the fish to a 75 gal tank I borrowed from my neighbor and used the Tuff Tub to redo my water garden. I was going to redo the whole pond by getting a new liner and filters, etc. but I did not have the money so i am going to have to settle for a small water garden at this point. Below are some pics after working on it today...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.