The Planted Tank Forum banner

Pond project - Jungle vines

19K views 84 replies 12 participants last post by  newday3000 
#1 · (Edited)
I had 2 ponds at my old house.

See threads 600G and my 3000G I filled both ponds in before I moved and sold everything.

I wanted to start a new pond project at my new house but space is limited due to pool and landscaped backyard. The new house had a rock waterless waterfall with shallow liner. I plan trying to use this as part of the project. it's a 105 G pre-formed liner

Here is what the area looks like at the back of the yard. Pond will be in the back corner.

This is the 210G preform I will sink into a hole in the ground. I will likely have it raised a bit and frame it with stone.

To the right is the v shaped slate stacked water fall that I will connect and recycle water between the pond and the water fall. I plan on feeding the back of the water fall. This whole area is covered in vines that grow everywhere and flower.

This is the current water fall that dumps into a rock area with liner underneath. Very shallow and can old about 6 inches of water if needed.

I will put fish (shabukins), water lily maybe 2, Water iris and rushes into the main pond.

Stay tuned for updates.

See less See more
#28 ·
I am converting to salt pool which lowers the chlorine level in the pool. It's a concern but small amount of splashing should be ok as it's mostly salty water

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#29 ·
Liner underpayment is in with two layers. 45 mil pond liner is in. Filling pond for water height test and will trim the liner once the water has flattened out the liner .

Attachments

#30 ·
There is something really exiting about filling a new pond!:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

#31 ·
I know, I can't wait to get fish and plants in..... need new hose to fits better on the filter as it's leaking right. I want flex pvc as it fits best for leak free connections. I plan to start cutting back the liner as the pond has been sitting full now for 3 days.

#32 ·
Pond filled 1900 gph pump and box pre-filter is in, pressurized filter is in, liner is mostly cut back and starting to place stones to cover the liner. Will take me awhile to finish off the landscaping, will post some pics tomorrow on progress. Planning on adding fish, and plants in about 3 weeks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Some progress. Pond filled, pump and box per-filter installed. Trimmed liner and placed some rocks to see how it looks. Lots more work and rocks and landscaping to finish the edges but thought I would post some progress.

Attachments

#35 ·

Ordered some silk plants to help cover the liner while I wait for aquatic plants to grow.

I will add fish end of the month. Likely some shubikns and small KOI

#40 ·
waiting on some silk plants to start the landscaping.

also planning the water fall build now in the back left corner. have pump 800gph at 1" ID no head to pump to the top of a rock water fall. I have left over liner to line it and many rocks to build it with.

#43 ·

marginals are in now, 3 water lilys are at the bottom about 3.5' down so they will take awhile to reach the surface.

added another 2 inch Koi that the GF picked out. Tomorrow hope to work on the stream.

#47 ·
thanks, I feel it's no where near what I want yet but guess that's part of the fun.

Got taro, cana, water hycinth for the pond and planted some day lilys and creeping jenna at the edge and fern and most in the shade at the back. need plants to grow in now. water lilys pads have hit the surface. pond is 40" deep so takes awhile to get pads to the water surface.

some pics from today

#52 ·
Thank you, its starting to grow in more now, still have more plans to add edging plants and marginals. The 3 lilies are shooting up pads but it takes awhile to hit the surface from 40" down, hoping to get more spread of lilly pads to cover the surface.

No signs of a lilly bloom yet

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.