The Planted Tank Forum banner

Tubbing question

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  LegumeWeirdo 
#1 ·
For people that tub their fish for the summer, do you just let the rain fill up your tubs? or is it more of a fill them up whenever the water gets too low kind of thing? Do you feed them, or just let the fish fill up on mosquitoes? Has anybody tried tubbing with shrimp, and if so, how did that work out? I've got some CPD's that I wanna try out in this lovely california weather, but there's no rain...

#2 ·
Well I live in Dubai, we rarely have any rain here, but we have summer almost all around the year and high evaporation takes place, and needs 100% of shading at all times to keep the water cool and not sushi your fishes. so I have to actually refill the tub almost every week. Also when refilling the tub I drain a little of water from the remaining water so that I can give them some water changes as well.

#3 ·
I filled mine with a hose, let the temp adjust a couple days. Worked fine, as my fish were already used to the local tap water. It refills with rain and water from the sprinklers, otherwise hose water works again.

Smaller fish I figure can feed themselves, but a few times a week I do supplementary feed them. Fish always look fat, so I assume they're getting their fill somehow.

Shrimp, somehow ended up with them in the tub a few times. As long as there's hiding spots Neos do fine. Actually seems to bring out really fantastic colors in them, blows away everything else I've ever produced. Culling is pretty much impossible unless you drain the pond though

#4 · (Edited)
Few ppl actually get enough rain to not have to refill their tubs... unless you've got a rain barrel and are recovering all the rain off a roof to use.

If you have water circulating mosquitoes don't lay eggs. Mosquitoes seem to like stagnant water. I feed my fish, mainly to habituate them to coming up when I'm around so I can enjoy seeing them (depending on the species).

LR Brets does lots of shrimp in tubs outside. That's how they're farmed in Asia.

For CPDs I'd be more worried about the temperature in CA than rain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.