Small pond (300g) filter options, checking ebay and not sure what to do - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Small pond (300g) filter options, checking ebay and not sure what to do

I've got an overstocked 300g pond, so thinking I'd benefit from a filter than can handle a 500-600 gallon pond.

But unsure which to get!

No real stores around here, so I've been checking e-bay. Most of the ads have un-branded filters (so can't research them), and if you read closely many don't even have a pump!

And they don't say which pump you need.

Any suggestions for an economical filter, preferably canister as the pond is too small for one you'd sink into the pond.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Maybe a skippy filter? Not sure what your pond looks like but with some creative landscaping you can hide it. Just buy a small pond pump. Probably can get a 30-50 dollar pump that can easily handle 5-600 gallons from Harbor Freight or online. The rest is very customizable. I had one for 1000 gallon pond for years and it did the job very well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=skip...&client=safari

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your location is going to make a difference for what kind of pump and capacity you need. In California, electricity is ridiculously expensive and it's worth it to invest a few hundred dollars in a quality, energy efficient pump. I have a 3000g+ pond and I DIY'ed the filter system. I took a large Rubbermaid tool box and put bulkhead fittings on each end. I sunk the tool box in the ground so water can gravity flow from the pond. There are a couple of pieces of pvc which hold bottle brush type pond filters. (do and Amazon search, loads of them available) Then, some Japanese filter mats. You can cut them, they are neutral density, and they're stiff. Matala (Amazon) mats are available in different coarseness. The water flows out to an inline pump. Many pond filters are constructed somewhat like this. Some put the box in the water. (you don't have to worry about waterproofing) Some put the pump in the water and gravity flow out of the box. Depending on your load you may be able to do a canister type filter with a 5g bucket. My first home made system was 3-55g drums linked together with media.
There's loads of stuff you can DIY if you're inclined. The Rubbermaid box is my 2nd mechanical filter. I flow from the pond into a vortex separator. Basically it's just a big cylinder with a conical bottom. The water enters the side, near the bottom, at an angle and drains off the top. This causes a whirlpool and the heavier sediment settles into the bottom of the cone where it can be drained off by a valve. Then it flows into the RM tool box. From there it's pumped into a 2ft wide 8ft long 3 ft high box with bio filter pads in the bottom and immersed plants on top.
Lots of folks make pond filters with storage boxes. I liked the tool box because it's really sturdy. It's about 1/4" thick and is made with the same stuff as the 300g stock tanks. Plus it has a hinged lid.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks so much for the ideas. I looked at the DIY's and I really feel their biological cleaning capabilities are as good or better than many on the market.

But I ended up with an over sized store bought. Laguna pressure flo 2000 + the Laguna max flo 960. A bit pricey but research suggests it's going to be great for this little pond. I'm really excited about this update.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You know a decent sized aquarium sump pump would be fine for a 300 gallon stock tank. Something like a 250~400 gph pump would do nicely depending on how you plan on setting up the filter. D.I.Y. in tank sponge or a tiny, external Skippy made from a 5 gallon bucket. The amount of electricity the pump will consume will be minimal, maybe 25 to 40 watts?

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
85 gallon stock tank, "pond"
5g low-tech Java Fern jungle.
2.5g +1.2g satellite stream-clay crypt and Fern tank.
20 GallonH Streamsoil dirt tank
Pendant-hooded, LED A19 bulb lighting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode