The Planted Tank Forum banner

Substrate?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  hisxlency 
#1 ·
I am setting up a new tank and have never used a substrate. What's a good "standard" use substrate? I plan on some plants, some smaller fish and some rocks and driftwood.

Any suggestions are appreciated

#4 ·
Well, with shrimps you can't go wrong with silica pool filter sand. Inexpensive, easy to clean & keep clean. Grows plants well using just a few root tab ferts.
The small Fluval CO2 system is not bad and would work just fine in a small tank like yours. It's sort of hi-tech on a small scale. Go for it.

#8 ·
Hi hisxlency,

I like substrates with a high cation-exchange capacity (CEC) like the heat treated Montmorillonite clay products for planted tanks. Originally I used natural fine gravel (Monterrey Sand) with good results but my plants have done much better with the clay based substrates.

Several of the Montmorillonite clay varieties I liked have been discontinued in the last few years but I am currently using Saf-T-Sorb #7941 with good results and I like the grain size and mix of natural colors. It is dusty and requires a good cleaning prior to first using it. It is available online at Drillspot for $9.29 per 40# bag with free shipping included.
http://www.drillspot.com/products/1476408/Moltan_7941_Montmorillonite_Clay_Absorbant_40_lb

Here is a picture of my 10 gallon, with Safe-T-Sorb substrate. This tank has no CO2, just Flourish Comprehensive and Flourish Excel. The baby Corys have been in there for over 3 months and have doubled in size.

#14 ·
Hi hisxlency,

I Several of the Montmorillonite clay varieties I liked have been discontinued in the last few years but I am currently using Saf-T-Sorb #7941 with good results and I like the grain size and mix of natural colors. It is dusty and requires a good cleaning prior to first using it. It is available online at Drillspot for $9.29 per 40# bag with free shipping included.
http://www.drillspot.com/products/1476408/Moltan_7941_Montmorillonite_Clay_Absorbant_40_lb

Here is a picture of my 10 gallon, with Safe-T-Sorb substrate. This tank has no CO2, just Flourish Comprehensive and Flourish Excel. The baby Corys have been in there for over 3 months and have doubled in size.
as an FYI. I found Safe-T-Sorb at my local Tractor Supply store, $4.99 for a 40lb bag!

#9 ·
Roy - Thanks for the info. I really do appreciate it. Same goes for the others who have posted. I keep learning mroe and more :)

Can I add a darker colored substrate on top of the Safe-T Sorb? I like the natural color of it but wanted a darker look to the tank to accent my plants and decore style im going after

#10 · (Edited)
Hi hisxlency,

You can 'top' a Montmorillonite clay substrate but because the clay is typically lighter than other substrates the heavier substrate will probably 'sink' to the bottom.

If you are interested in a darker clay substrate aquariumplants.com has a more expensive 'black' substrate that is purported to be a Montmorillonite clay.

#12 ·
You can always go with playsand, which is typically a bit darker than pool filter sand. Both need to be thoroughly rinsed before use to remove the smaller particles. A hose and five gallon bucket work great for rinsing.

As long as there are no contaminants, any silica sand is perfectly safe to use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.