The Planted Tank Forum banner

40 gallon planted breeder build

11K views 61 replies 25 participants last post by  Rilly10 
#1 ·
Well I have always loved the dimensions of a 40 gallon breeder, but it is extremely hard to find a quality stand for those dimensions. (Mostly due to the fact that usually they are put on cheap stands that hold multiple tanks in fish rooms). Well, I have freed up some space in a spare bedroom and have decided to build my own quality stand for the 40 breeder I picked up.

I don't know what I am going to stock it with yet, but it will be a low light planted tank.

The best part is that it is built with scrap wood and didn't cost a dime!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The door is made of aluminum surrounded by pine boards and rests on magnets instead of hinges.

Attachments

#5 ·
The back of the tank is back lit with a small RGB LED light strip. The back of the tank was frosted to let the LED shine through. Since I am not going to use a canopy and this is not a rimless tank, I sanded down the black rim and paint it a metallic silver to match the stand.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Here is the tank and stand put together with the LED in back. Also I have attached a link for a short video of the back lighting. You can change the color of the back light and choose if you want it to stay one color, pulse different colors, or fade in and out. I am still working on the pendant lighting for the tank. Overall I am please with how it turned out. Any constructive criticism is welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDvnaYXqjic

Attachments

#15 ·
WOW,

Great Build!!! The stand looks really good! I really like the frosted background too!

Can't wait to see it scaped and filled!!!

Subscribed,
Drew

#16 ·
P.S.

Howdy, to another Texan!!! ;)

I used to deliver beer in Rockwall in the mid 90's! Nice Town!

Drew

#27 ·
Started on the lighting today. I couldn't find a pendant light that I liked so I decided to make one myself out of 4" PVC pipe. It will also allow the LED to "breathe" better with the top of the pendant left open. I picked up a pendant light kit at Lowes along with some other hardware. I plan on painting the pipe to match the rest of the tank..possibly using some stencil design to give it some depth.

Attachments

#30 ·
#32 ·
Well the light wasn't hanging how I wanted it to with the hardware, so I decided to wire it instead. Also, I painted the PVC. I am pretty happy with how they turned out.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.