The Planted Tank Forum banner

Miracle gro fertilizer?

40K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Darkblade48 
#1 ·
I was recently told that it is possible to use miracle gro to dose a planted tank, is this correct? I was told that it would not harm any of the fish and that it would be an easy alternative to ordering fertilizers to dose with :icon_ques

#18 ·
Hi All,

UDGags is absolutely correct regarding the heavy metals.

I use Miracle Grow Water Soluble General Purpose for my emersed growth plants but I will not use the product in my aquariums because it contains: Arsenic, Cadmium, Cobalt, Mercury, Molybdenum, Nickel, Lead, and Cobalt (Co). I value my fish (or invertebrates) too much to do that.

#15 ·
As people have already mentioned, I would highly recommend you not using any (terrestrial) fertilizer that uses ammonical nitrogen (urea) as its nitrogen source, since it will become ammonia in your aquarium (at a pH of 8.6, there will essentially be no ammonium anion formation).

There have been people that have successfully dosed with urea, but I do not think they ever dosed when there was livestock in the aquarium.

#17 ·
As people have already mentioned, I would highly recommend you not using any (terrestrial) fertilizer that uses ammonical nitrogen (urea) as its nitrogen source, since it will become ammonia in your aquarium (at a pH of 8.6, there will essentially be no ammonium anion formation).

There have been people that have successfully dosed with urea, but I do not think they ever dosed when there was livestock in the aquarium.

i dose urea and NH4 with german blue rams in the tank, they also bread many times in the same tank. plant also grew better with urea and nitrate combination.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=179668

#16 ·
Your pH is not good for Urea. It is good for those heavy metals as they will stay in the water and not your creatures. Higher pH with heavy metals like Copper, Zinc, Lead is safer than acid pH which will ionize part of them and make them soluble in water. Plants will uptake those up until some point but they will be affected also. Long before your shrimp have died of Copper poisoning.

I did put Urea in my planted tank. But it is something like 0,5g in a HEAVILY planted 300L tank. No side effects.

I bought mine from the pharmacy as a white salt. Looks like Magnesium Sulfate (aka Epsom salt).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.