The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Water Softener and Plants
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Planted Member
Originally Posted by Grimnokk View Post
As much as I would love to flip to bypass, its a whole home system so my hot water heater if full of it as well. So draining the lines I don't think is possible.
On bypass your cold water will be good and some salty water from your heater will be mixed with it so at least the salts are minimized a bit. I have a water conditioner but I use KCl which is actually benificial to your plants but you might OD on K which can block the absortion of other minerals. But if you could switch to KCl (check if your softener can run on KCl) then fill on bypass then its a mix of regular water and some with KCl from the hot water tank.

What I do is just condition and heat my water in a 18Gallon tub. I fill it with bypassed cold water and heat, treat (prime, Mg). Not using any water from the hot water tank eliminates the extra metals and contamination. I also used to let the tub sit a week to gas out so I don't have to use Prime. I also have my tub on a high ledge so I can use the hose to fill it and use the hose to transfer the water from the tub to the tank
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome