The Planted Tank Forum banner

My Planted 90gal. project update

6K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  gene4christ 
#1 · (Edited)
OK this is my 90gal. so far. It has been a very slow go so far :( but this is the progress . I am thinking of adding some Cryptocoryne wendtii , and start it immersed to get a good start on the foreground then add the driftwood and other plants and flood the tank . This is a low tech project with low to med lighting . I have the plants in the 30gal. planted below that will be used in this tank as it is being retired . Any suggestions would help . :proud:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It took me a year to build the stand but got it done LOL :proud: this is before I put the doors on . :^)

Attachments

#5 ·
OK this is the tank now :proud: it has been up for 2 days I am going to wait for a few more days before I put the fish in it though . But so far so good. I think I am going to like the dirt if the plants do ! :icon_mrgr

Attachments

#9 ·

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks ! :)
As you guys can tell, I still need background plants !! Any suggestions as to what will work will help out!
Not sure if this is a low light or medium light setup ?? I have two of the 48in. Coralife T5no fixtures that they used to sell for planted tanks for cheap.
I have a timer that turns on one at 8:00am, then I turn the 2nd fixture on at about 2;00pm for 4 hours, then turn it back off. The timer turns off at 10:30pm. Is this what I should be doing and where in the light intensity do I fit ? Low Light , Medium Light or something else ?? :confused1:

#12 ·
Your keeping your lights on too long. That's almost 15 hours of light. Plants stop using using it after about 8-9 hours. Once that happen algae will step in to use whatever the plants aren't. Also too long if your not using co2. There are some tall crypts and swords out there. Crypt Usteriana get tall or jungle val. Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba' was my favorite back ground plant as it grow fast and turned red the closer it got to the lights.

#16 ·
Hmmm. I could trim 30min from the morning and 60min from the evening to drop the time back a bit . But the algae has all but gone away already that should be the death of it then ! :biggrin: Are there any other thoughts along that line ? And still would like to know where I fit as for as low light or medium light .

#15 ·
Got most of it from a fish store that was going out of business proly 20 years ago now. But the one that looks like a limb, I picked up from the Wabash river, again a long time ago, and it still will not stay down by its self LOL . I have it screwed onto the other one just in front of it to hold it down. The driftwood that came from over the big pond is very dense and sinks . :icon_surp

Sometimes Harps has some of the good stuff . I got some of the small peaces that fill in the gaps from there .

#18 ·
Here are some pictures of the tank as of 7/18/13
If you guys know the names of the plants , feel free to post I need to make a list LOL
:proud:

Attachments

#21 ·
I am thinking about moving the crypts on the right side to behind the petrified wood that you can't now see LOL and bring the petrified wood to the front just a bit . I think that will give a little more depth as well as showcase both the crypts and the petrified wood better. What do you guys think? :smile:

#22 ·
I still have not moved the Cryps yet , and now they really have the Petrified Wood blocked from view LOL . Check out the Petrified Wood a few post above , I think it would look ok if moved to the front a bit with the Cryps Behind it . What do you guys think Leave it as is or move it ? :red_mouth

#28 ·
Yep :confused1: I was not expecting it to get that big either as you can tell :hihi: . I have got to thin it and move it behind the petrified wood after I move it to the front a bit . That rock wood really looks nice when you can see it :icon_sad: Well there are actually three different kinds of that type off Crypt in there but I do not remember what they are now. :icon_frow You can make out them out though . One is right in front of the tall center driftwood and to the right and them there is the taller Wendtii Green right beside it and then mixed in . farther to the right in the front corner there is another variety the stems are a little different and it is not quite as tall. :icon_smil

On a side note I put two Kooooly's of the red and black striped version in there over a year ago and when they hit the bottom I did not see them again until a month ago when I noticed one of them VERY BRIEFLY behind the driftwood. Do they know how to hide or what ? :eek5:

#30 ·
This is my tank as of 8/23/14 still have not done any trimming. I have been thinking about adding a few Discus but not sure they would be ok with the rest of the fish. :)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.