The Planted Tank Forum banner

Nick's 75g first planted tank (algae help needed)

25K views 169 replies 24 participants last post by  Rush3737 
#1 · (Edited)
First post is for updating info, normal beginning post will come next!

=======================================

Supplies:
Tank/Stand
Tank/Stand (Craigslist) - $125
Glass top (included) - $0
Foam/Duct Tape (Home Depot) - $12
Glass top pieces (Home Depot) - $3
Glass top pieces (Pet Solutions) - $13
Shims - $2 (Home Depot)

Substrate
Safe T Sorb 60lbs (Tractor Supply) - $13

Filter
Fluval 406 (Amazon Seller) - $130

Heating
AquaTop GH200 (Amazon) - $17
Thermometer (Petco) - $3

Lighting
Diamond Fixture (Home Depot) - $35
2 48" 32-watt 6500k fluorescent bulbs (Home Depot) - $10
3 prong timer (Home Depot) - $10
Hanging Stuff (Lowe's) - $14

Miscellaneous
Surge protector (Home Depot) - $13

Fish
Transplants - $0
New - $75 est.

Plants
New - $100 est.

Goal: Keep under $550 for all the stuff used exclusively for this tank.

Total so far: $400
Remaining estimate: $175
Total estimate: $575
Over/Under goal estimate: $(25)

=================================

Threads:
Substrate (solved) - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=222682

Lighting (solved) - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=221001

Fertilizer (solved) - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=222682

Filter (solved) - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=221673

Plants: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=218145

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Okay, here we go! Basically I've had a 29g talk for several years and the fish big started biting a few months ago and I've been planning out a bigger tank that I want to be really nice, but I'm trying to be as economical as possible about it. As stated above I'm trying to keep the stuff exclusive to this tank under $500 including plants and fish.

I'll be asking for advice not only on this tank, but also on any advice for future tanks or any bad purchases I've already made because if this works well I'd like to do another in the future. The links I provided in the first post are for specific questions I've had, and some have been answered, but some have not, so please check them out and chime in if you can!

I don't actually have the tank/stand yet (I know, thread started before that... but I figure it doesn't hurt to have it ready) because as I said I'm budget conscious and one of the best ways to save money it a used stand/tank. I've been watching listings and making some offers and I'm fairly certain within the next month I can get a nice setup for under $200, perhaps as low as $100. I'm looking for something like this preferably:

And I'll be putting it here:

(Cat not amused by picture)

I plan on putting it about 2 feet in front of the heater. I think this would be okay but I could use your input. I figure that's enough space that if anything would go wrong with the heater the tank would be far enough out of the way that it could be serviced, and the tank will be far enough away that there won't be any issues with the tank getting too hot.

I'm kinda planning to have the tank as an island, so you can move all the way around it, but I'll be setting up my rocks/plans like a normal tank, only intended to be viewed from the front/sides.

So far I've ordered the filter from amazon, a unit that has damaged packaging but which should otherwise be fine (else I'll return), and the following from home depot:

Let me tell you, I wasn't ready for that light... thing is f%$%^ing bright!

#5 ·
Thanks much, was reviewing this in my lighting thread and will figure out a way to do that. I will either put two hooks into my ceiling or perhaps spend a few bucks to get curved rods to screw into the back of the stand.

GMY, I don't have that tank/stand, that's just a general idea of what I'm looking to find on craigslist. Have seen a few of them so far, just not in my price range. Also might not be able to get one with that kind of top depending on how exactly it would work with my lighting.

#6 ·
Just had a though for this. Since I plan to be able to walk around the back side of the setup, but don't intend for heavy viewing from that side I think I'll install several hooks on the back side for my net, armed sponge, siphon tube, and anything else that needs to drip dry. Can always then put either a towel or install a long catch basin below that.

#8 ·
Do you happen to know when Petco will do the 55g for $55 again? I've heard that they do that but my local store doesn't have anything like that right now.

#9 ·
I actually bought a 55g off of CL today for $45. It was really dirty, but I spent 30 minutes with some hot water really cleaning it up. Going to finish it up with some vinegar later in the weekend.

In any case I don't think this will be used for this project as it didn't come with a stand and it will likely take me some time to get a proper stand for it separate. However if nothing comes along in a week or two I might consider moving my (very heavy and sturdy) dresser over for the tank and using it, will have to see.

#11 ·
A friend and I *could* feasibly build a nice stand, but I figure a deal will come along that will end up being nicer than what we could do in a reasonable amount of time. Still, if I get a tank/stand combo like I hope for this project I'll have all the time in the world to worry about the other one and may just build one for the heck of it.

#12 · (Edited)
Just got a positive response on this:
http://allentown.craigslist.org/for/3533069630.html

So I may slightly up the budget for this project if I end up liking this tank and the single Fluval 405 isn't enough for a 75 gallon tank. Thankfully I don't think heating would be an issue for a 75 since I am only raising about 4 degrees from room temp, and the depth and width of the tank are the same so lighting can remain the same.

#13 · (Edited)
So in my running around today I was able to nail down some supplies:

Got 120lbs of SafeTSorb ($13) and a $3 thermometer for inside the tank. Not counting against the budget is some vinegar (for cleaning) and ammonia (for fishless cycling).

#14 ·
Looks like you're on the right track. 55 is one of the more unique footprints in terms of finding a stand. Like you said, a dresser could be one solution. Building your own is a great option but remember that it may or may not be worthwhile economically if you decide you'd like to make it really nice. DIY is fun but it's not always the cheapest option...

#15 · (Edited)
My current plan should give me all the time in the world to worry about it thankfully. I'm going to set up and cycle/plant a tank in the bedroom, move the fish from the 29g in the living room into that tank, change the gravel in the 29g to SafeTSorb and plant that one, and move the barbs back to the 29g while leaving a catfish and shark in the 55/75g tank as the first permanent members of that tank.

At that point I'll be moving the gravel and any leftover SafeTSorb into the 55 gallon tank setup in the office and using it as a Pleco/Cichlid tank. So that's probably 6 months off at least.

Also, I'm heading over tomorrow night to look at the CL tank I posted, so I'm really hoping I like it!

#16 · (Edited)
Lots of updates!

First and most importantly I looked at the tank tonight and will be buying it! Going to pick it up tomorrow, super psyched! The total cost was $125 for stand and tank, and in addition I won't have to purchase a versa glass top as I originally thought. The tank comes with glass pieces for on top. In addition the heater, filter, and a couple Seachem chemicals will be arriving in the mail tomorrow. While I've saved myself some good money here, this has moved the project officially to 75g from 55g and I'm increasing the budget by $50 accordingly. If the savings continue as planned that allows me more for fish and plants.

After work today I also picked up a few things at Lowe's ($13) to hang the light, as I wanted that to be done before the tank was in the way if possible. GF and I decided to re-arrange the room a bit prior to the tank moving in. Turned a dresser that will run parallel with the tank and create a false wall impression. Between the tank and the dresser on left 2.5 feet will remain allowing us to get behind to a storage area and to easily access things on the back of and behind the tank.

#17 ·
The guy who I'm buying the tank from actually has a very nice, large saltwater tank still running and a nice 29g freshwater tetra tank, so it's nice to know I'm buying from an active fish guy.

#18 ·
Lots of good news today, little bit of bad.

First, I picked up the stand:

And tank:

Thankfully Wednesday is my day off, so I'm going to spend part of the day cleaning the stand and tank, and buying a shim for under the front of the stand as it needs to go up 3/8ths of an inch, and some foam to go between the tank and the rail. Then I'll be able to put the tank on the stand and let the fun begin.

In addition I got some stuff in the mail today (and in the past week), and the only thing that was specifically for this tank was the heater. However I've also received my bottle of fert and 1000 gel caps, a new net, a plant trimming tool kit, and Seachem NPK, Flourish, Flourish Excel, and Prime.

The bit of bad news is my filter came and it was obviously used and had a cracked top. So it's going back and I've decided to upgrade to the Fluval 406, 2nd hand but never out of box for $130.

#19 ·
Great find!!!

Subscribed too! I am thinking of upgrading my 55g to a 75g, so I am really interested in how you are going to be setting up and scaping!

Good Luck!
Drew

#21 ·
I have a definite picture in my head, but as a plant newb it will be a big challenge to see if I can actually pull it off.

shamb, the gel caps are to be filled with the fertilizer to be used in the place of the tabs you stick in the substrate to help feed plants. You can buy 40 seachem tabs for about $20, whereas 1000 gel caps and enough fert to till them cost me $25. Probably filled at least a hundred caps last night while watching The Daily Show and Colbert Report.

Will post pictures later and update pricing later, but today I bought the foam and have cut it and taped it together and have a nice bit of foam to help my tank settle evenly. I also bought some shims to level off the stand. Finally, the glass that came with the tank doesn't have hinges, so I bought some stripping and heavy duct tape and will be making my own hinges.

#22 · (Edited)
Gave the tank an initial cleaning to get it most of the way ready, and went over the stand a bit too. Then I did the foam as I mentioned earlier:

After that I took care of some of the stand modifications I wanted. I wanted a built in place to hang my wet stuff after I've used it, mounted my power strip, and most importantly did a quick rig to keep the overhead light from tilting towards the bed due to the weight of the power cord. Not a stunning setup, and I'll probably stick some weight on the other side in the future, but it works for now.

Will put the tank in place sometime this afternoon or evening and continue the vinegar heavy cleaning that is still invaded my nostrils now.

Stripping (for top glass) $3
Duct tape (for foam and top glass) $5
Shims $2
Foam $7

#24 ·
Yeah, that's one of the ideas I've been kicking around. But for now it's fine and I'll figure it out after everything is finally up and running.

I put in the 80 lbs of Safe T Sorb and filled the tank with about 40 gallons of water. I then spent a good amount of time agitating the substrate and sucking brown water out. Will continue doing that on and off for the next 2-3 days probably.

Also was able to make my DIY hinges for my glass. Will be ordering the plastic for the end along with 2 cheap handles from PetSolutions. Just gotta figure out what else I want to buy to get me to the $50 free shipping.

#25 ·
Okay, here's a quick drawing of what I'm hoping for the tank, so ya'll have a reference point when I fail miserably.

The I'll actually have the rocks more towards the back and wider than I have pictured there. I'm hoping to build a nice central citadel, partially for looks, and partially because in my 29g I have this:

And my Silver tipped shark spends all day circling the bottom, and my raphael catfish spends all day tucked up in the top, and I think they will appreciate something similar in the new tank.

The rocks will be moss covered, and there will be grass leading up to the rocks. From there I'm planning to do half a tank of green plants and half non-green. There will be just enough room behind the rocks to plant some tall background plants, and they will extend into the corners. Then aside of the rocks and coming towards the front will be some midground plants, and finally up in front will be some low plants. Something like red tiger lotus will be planted right next to the carpeting to hopefully sprout leaves over the grass and make a nice color transition in front between the two halves of the tank.

#26 ·
Hear is the glass in progress:

I used clear tape and it works great. Once I get the plastic strip for the end and handles it will be like brand new versa tops.

And then there is this...

I've taken about 50 gallons of brown water out so far, but thankfully every time I add new water there is slightly less color, so hopefully I'll be done in not too long.

#27 ·
Looking good!!

I am looking forward to seeing the Safety sorb in the large tank too! I have seen it in a few smaller tanks and it looks great, but I would like to ask you if you can get a pic of it with the lights on before planting, PLEASE! Just want to see it in large scale!Thanks!

Keep up with the "Fun" work!!!
Drew

#28 ·
I'll be sure to get a picture of it if I ever get it ready... probably 3 total hours and 150g+ of water into this project now. I basically just fill it up a few inches above the STS, agitate to get a bunch of dust into the water, and then siphon it out... and repeat... and repeat.

This was after about 75g:

Aside from hauling buckets constantly today I also went out in search of rocks. Unfortunately the area I looked in didn't really have exactly what I was looking for, but I grabbed some and played around a little anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.