The Planted Tank Forum banner

Digsy's succulent collection

10K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  MABJ 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread has nothing to do with vivariums or terrariums but there are several other similar threads here so, it seems like the best place to stick this. Here are pictures of some of the succulents I've started accumulating over the last few months. I have a few more that I need to photograph still.

Unknown Aeonium - This was doing fine near a sunny window inside but has developed these purple edges (along with being a little singed in a few places) since being left outside all week.

Beaucarnea recurvata - This was an impulse purchase when I saw it at Sam's Club. This thing has the potential to be monstrous so, I don't know how long it will last in that container.

Didymaotus sp.

Echeveria metallica x posina

Euphorbia obesa:

Fenestraria sp.

Gasteria pillansii

Haworthia sp. #1 - The color is completely different than the plants I divided and left indoors. The indoor plants are such a dark, deep green, which I think I prefer.

Haworthia sp. #2

Haworthia cooperi var. pilifera

Lapidaria margaretae

Lithops sp. #1 (possibly not Lithops, I'm unsure)

Lithops sp. #2

Mammillaria gracilis fragilis with a flower coming in

Mammillaria spinosissima

Matelea cyclophylla

Pleiospilos simulans

Turbinicarpus pseuodpectinatus 'rosieflorus'

See less See more
#31 ·
Nice plants, I'm glad I found it. I think I'm interested in succulents, but I'm just not ready to buy one yet since I don't want to jump in without knowing abit more.

I was wondering, are Fenestraria and Pleiospilos Nelii easy plants for someone who's never kept succulents before?

Since you're in WA, do you keep them indoors? Will they be able to thrive with the light spill from my nano?

#32 ·
I think that most of the succulents I've kept have been pretty easy, as long as you only water when appropriate. For most of my plants, their growth season is in the fall so, they get more regular water then but still probably only 1x/week. The rest of the year, I tend to water when I remember, when probably ends up being 1x/every 3-4 weeks.

Most of them let you know when they need water by getting shriveled (at least the lithops) and too much water causes them to look like they're going to burst, which they can if they're over watered. I haven't managed to do that yet but I've come close.

The only other important factor besides water is the soil. Everyone has a different mix that they use but sharp draining is important so, I use succulent soil and then add sand, pea gravel and gypsum.

If you're thinking of buying a few, I would recommend finding what you want someplace like Arid Lands because they have a huge selection and lots of pictures of everything. I prefer to actually buy at Miles 2 Go because his prices are quite a bit lower but his online catalog is much less user friendly. I've been very pleased with the quality of everything I've purchased from him.

So, kind of a long answer to a simple question. ;)

#33 ·
My cousin had a cactus once, it looked like a tiny barrel cactus, she did not water it enough and it died. On the other hand, my mom bought one aloe when I was in elementary school. That grew to about 10 pots of 3 or 4 aloe plants. We were giving them away to family. Now, we have about 4 pots with 2 or 3 aloe in each. I have to repot them this coming summer.

#35 ·
Aw these are beautiful.

I've got a Jade plant I KNOW I'm not doing any favors for because it is cold (winter) and it is in a north facing window.

I hope it'll survive until I move out of college.

Digsy, are there any succulents you can recommend that stay smaller and have lower light requirements? I notice you've got some very beautiful and tiny ones, but I never know if they'll grow just by looking at them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.