The Planted Tank Forum banner

Dosing PPS-Pro in New Tank Causing Algae?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  klibs 
#1 · (Edited)
I am having a problem with some algae starting to show up. Specs below. Should I be dosing ferts this early. Tank is only 1 week old. Its not Diatoms. Been through that cycle in a previous setup.

Tank: Fluval Spec V

Filter: Stock

Light: 20" Finnex Planted+

Substrate: Flourite Black Sand

Ferts: Will be dosing GLA PPS-Pro,

4.5 grams of Osmocote+ under substrate

DIY root tabs (Osmocote+)

CO2: 10lbs pressurized with dual regulator and solenoid. Bumped it up tonight to 20 bubbles/minute.

Flora

Rotala Wallichill

Pogostemon Erectus

Blyxa Japonica

Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'

Eleocharis Belem (Dwarf Hair Grass Belem)

Java Moss

Ignore the white on the rocks. Tried the super glue method and not pleased with my execution.

Matt

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Lights are on for 6 hours straight. I am trying to take it slow and bump up over time. I cranked the CO2 up to 20 bubbles per minute last night. Also I was dosing .5mL of micros and macros daily.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
It's tough to say, but I have essentially the same light (24/7 instead of regular planted +, so close to same intensity also on for 6 hours) and my tank has been set up for about the same length of time (same kind of tank, as well). I'm dosing around 1/2 EI, because I reduced intensity by 50-60%, but I would try reducing intensity until you can dial in the ferts. On such a small tank, combined with enough substrate, these lights are pretty intense on a little spec v. You can always scale back up a bit as needed, but from what I've seen, a bit of a glut of ferts, along with ample CO2, *shouldn't* cause algae. I just chose to scale back light because it makes other things a bit easier to control. Just my $0.02.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.