H2O2 against BGA, full tank treatment - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

H2O2 against BGA, full tank treatment

I have a HEAVILY planted 30 gal and it is really struggling with Blue-green algae (cyanobacteria), which is covering the leaves of my plants, gravel etc. I researched and almost decided to spot treat with H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) at 1 ml per gal (30 ml), when I came across a delima... almost all the leaves in my tank have at least a small layer of BGA on them. So, should I still just spot treat or should I treat the entire tank? If I did teat the entire tank, how much do I use per gal, do I need to turn off the filter to keep it from killing the good bacteria, and will it harm my fish plants and nerite snails? Any experiences, opinions, and/or informative websites are more than welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 02:38 AM
Crypt addiction

Dont use h2o2, bga can easily be dealt with a product called Eromathacyn (sp?) its worked every time for me.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 05:40 AM

Erythromycin works great, but it can be costly and 3 doses are usually needed. As an antibiotic it will affect the bacterial balance in the tank.
Chemiclean also works. Many say its only for salt water but it has been fine in my freshwater tanks. It is much less expensive but requires about 1-2 weeks before fully controlled. Need to do water changes and watch ammonia as the dead algae is now decaying in the water.
I haven't used it but have also heard that Ultra-life is a product which work very well. Might be harder to find locally though. I think once you get it under control and watch for any new algae, it becomes less of a problem.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys! Although those methods are great I really want to use H2O2 because it is fast and cheap (not to mention I already have some ) If anyone has any experience with the full tank method I would love to be taught how!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 03:20 PM
Algae Grower

If you want to use H2O2, check out this The "One-Two Punch" Whole Tank Algae Treatment

I did this yesterday, by moving all fish to another tank. Now waiting to see the results.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually already tried that with only two tbsp per ten gallons with all the fish still in the tank. I provided good flow and there were no signs of fish stress. I am going to try it again today with 3 tbsp per gallon (one less tbsp than the max).
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Have you tried a blackout of the whole tank? Cyano cannot survive without light and a blackout would be an alternative to chemicals. Ive done a lot of research on cyano as I have one tank that it has always been a problem and by problem I mean sheets of the stuff forming on the glass at one time. If you look at the 75g in my signature and look through the pics you can see some cyano between the glass and sand in the front. I'm going to deal with that by placing cardboard over the lower front of the tank and sealing it off from light.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

+1 for the blackout. 5-6 days in total darkness and the BGA that was plaguing my 10g was all gone in under a week.

RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

will a blackout damage the plants?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Depends on the specific plants but most will do fine. Hardy plants like anubias, crypts, mosses, java ferns, and buces will shrug it off. My hygros were unaffected as well. Plants in shipment can go through 5-6 shipping days at most in complete darkness and they do alright.

RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

alright. thanks!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What are you dosing for fertilizers? BGA uses some of the same nutrients as plants, but in particular, if iron is high, it's able to utilize it for rapid growth.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am using osmocote tabs and flourish for a liquid fert. I am not dosing iron in particular.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Make sure if you do the blackout it is a total blackout no light 0 nada. Good luck. I HATE dealing with cyano.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Flourish contains a lot of iron.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode