Staghorn in shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Staghorn in shrimp tank

Hi all,

Currently I have a bad case of staghorn in my shrimp tank, because shrimps are sensitive I don't want to use any chemical in this tank. What's the best way to combat these annoyances? Thanks.

Kevin

Currently I have Crystal Red, Crystal Black, Golden/White Bee, Blue Bee, Fire Red, Dark Green, Babaulti Green, Snowball, Fire Red and Unidentified Shrimps for sale. PM me for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 03:02 AM
Planted Member

If you have algae water quality is always first to check. If everything comes out right double check it. If it comes out right again do water changes checking your source water before adding to the tank.

I recommend after checking your water quality add the recommended dose of flourish excel (initial dose) listed on the bottle and it will kill it all off. Then do 2 heavy water changes that week pulling any nutrients out of the tank.

Best wishes,
James

Your signature has been removed for violation of forum policy.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

James,

Thank you. I'm a bit hesitant about using Excel because I remember reading somewhere that it has some effect on the shrimps as well. Because this tank is a high grade CRS tank with some babies, I think I will do some heavy water change first to see if it helps.

Kevin

Currently I have Crystal Red, Crystal Black, Golden/White Bee, Blue Bee, Fire Red, Dark Green, Babaulti Green, Snowball, Fire Red and Unidentified Shrimps for sale. PM me for details.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvntran View Post
James,

Thank you. I'm a bit hesitant about using Excel because I remember reading somewhere that it has some effect on the shrimps as well. Because this tank is a high grade CRS tank with some babies, I think I will do some heavy water change first to see if it helps.

Kevin

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Be careful doing large water changes when you have CRS...they do not like fluxuations in water conditions. I'd say no more than 25-50% of the tank...make sure you use Prime, and let the water temp. closely match the tank water's.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Planted Member

Good point Mr. Fisher.

I have cherry red shrimp (NONE graded and such) but have dosed this way before and had no issues. With that said I'm glad you chose to use water changes to try and fix the problem. Most times it's water quality related as much as we all would rather it be something else (like the algae don't like me).

Best wishes,

James

Your signature has been removed for violation of forum policy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode