How can I still have BBA - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
How can I still have BBA

Even though there is less of it now I have been fighting BBA for some time and cannot figure out why it is still present and slowing growing. I have a 125 gallon medium planted set up with a Fluval FX6 as well as a Hydor Pro 600 for filtration. I also have 2 circulation pumps so along with these 2 filters I have really good water flow around the whole tank. I also recently purchased and installed a solid CO2 reactor on the return hose of the Hydor Pro 600 canister filter so the CO2 is being dissolved nearly 100% in the water with no bubbles. The colors on my Cal-aqua 2 bowl CO2 drop checker are just about the same. For lighting I have 2 - 36" Finnex Ray 2 LED fixtures on the rear portion of the tank and in the front I have a 48" Finnex Planted Plus LED fixture. All three light fixtures are suspended 30" above the substrate. I also try to be good about weekly water changes of 40% to 50%. The only thing I have not been doing is fert dosing for now.
The gravel has some BBA along with various plants and I see new BBA growing in small tufts on the glass. What am I missing or what am I doing wrong? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all responding members.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 02:40 PM
Wannabe Guru
Controlling Algae

Hello Aqua...

Algae is controlled by fast growing stem plants that use up excess nutrients in the tank water. Anacharis is one of the best. Get some individual stems of this plant at the local pet store and drop them into the tank. It grows best floating close to the light source and doesn't require planting in the substrate. The larger it gets, the more nutrients it uses. It also gives off a mild toxin that most forms of algae don't tolerate.

This is the first plant that goes into my planted tanks.

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru
I generally harass the stuff whenever it appears in my tank's.
Pull it off wood,rock's,pull it out of substrate,clean it from glass,spray bar's,heater's,etc.
Keep filter material clean monthly.
I personally believe it is tied to maybe excess organic matter and have found that the above measures work for me.
Eventually,the stuff get's tired of trying to get a hold in my tank's.
Volumes of thread's abound about possible causes in high energy tank's,low energy tank's,low flow,high flow,etc.
Only can share what work's for me.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Thanks BBradbury and roadmaster,

I will try your suggestions and see if they help. I am planning to move this tank to a different location in my mancave this fall so a thorough cleaning will certainly take place. I am also hoping kind of a fresh start will allow me to get a handle on BBA if it rears its ugly head in the future. Thanks again.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 10:56 PM
Algae Grower
pull out your hardscapes and steam them when you get a chance, always good to sterilize things so that you only have spores in the water column, then you can get rid of them by water changes
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Thanks D.... Hadn't thought about that. Wish I could do the same to some affected portions of my Eco complete substrate but I am sure that steaming process would kill off any beneficial bacteria that has built up over time>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode