Is this hair algae or something else? - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
Is this hair algae or something else?

I've been trying to clear this out using excel, but that's only seeming to make it worse. This is in my shrimp tank. I've never had this type of algae before. What should I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	369817  

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru
Typically shrimp tanks have little/few plants. They should not have anything but low light. Unless you want a tank/w just that algae in it of course.
You can have a few shrimp in a planted tank or you can have a shrimp tank.
The shrimp tanks do not have enough plants in them for much light without getting algae.
That is a form of Cladophora. One form is like cotton balls but green. All sizes and anywhere in the tank. Usually fairly dense towards the middle of those "cotton balls". The other is what you have. Not so dense and lighter green but very stringy.
I think they are the same, but just the form they take at different levels of light.
The kind you have is common in 55-65 PAR(roughly) and the "cotton balls" is in
higher light. Can you show a picture of the whole tank ?
The Excel only works on this if yoiu use a syringe and turn off the pump/circulation
for a few and inject it on the algae. Let sit for about 20 min and turn the pump back on then. Don't use more than double what the directions say for a dailly dose for that tank size either. Shrimp don't like that stuff but can tolorate it at recommended doses or twice that. If you were already using it that is. If you weren't using it before you might stay/w the directed amount. What size tank is it ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight the opposite direction...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
This is a low-light 7.5 gallon shrimp tank that's been established for a few years. Only has mosses and crypts and mini pelia. I've been spot treating with excel with filter off, but it's not working. I'll try manually removing it some more and spot treating to see if that helps.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru
What are you fertilizing?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode