Destruction of certain algae with air - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 507
Destruction of certain algae with air

Has anyone had any success pulling out an algae infested plant like anubias and simply letting it sit to dry out slightly for an hour or two?

Certain plants like anubias should be able to take being out of the water for a bit, but algae, especially green spot seems to be killed easily with this method.
Positron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Centennial,Co
Posts: 1,836
I think you'll find the plants can't handle it either.
BruceF is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Monster Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 3,297
Your anubias will dry out if it's suddenly exposed to a low humidity environment, especially if you let it dry for 1-2 hours.

RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
Monster Fish is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 507
Well I tried it for 30 mins today. The plant was still moist to the touch when I put it back in. The green hair algae that was on it is dead. It should have killed the GSA as air does when I do a WC. The GSA on the glass that was exposed to air is always dead in 48 hours.
Positron is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,202
O2 is a powerful oxidizer. One way to kill algae and bacteria is to expose it to high concentrations of O2. Many animals can survive and thrive with the increased oxygen but these microorganisms cannot.
Solcielo lawrencia is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
O2 is a powerful oxidizer. One way to kill algae and bacteria is to expose it to high concentrations of O2. Many animals can survive and thrive with the increased oxygen but these microorganisms cannot.
My thinking exactly. I love seeing the false pearling after a water change. I had some brush algae on some moss and brought the moss out of the water for 10 mins a day for a week. I loved watching the false pearling as oxygen would destroy the algae cells surrounding the plant.
Positron is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Planted Member
 
annyann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 285
I never have thought of taking plants out of the tank and just letting them set for a little while to kill algae. Anyone know if this works on BGA? I'm having a tough time getting rid of this kind in my tank..
annyann is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 22
Best thing I do is take a childs medicine syringe and squirt hydrogen peroxide directly on the algae. Instant death.

Using Tapatalk
cfosgate is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positron View Post
My thinking exactly. I love seeing the false pearling after a water change. I had some brush algae on some moss and brought the moss out of the water for 10 mins a day for a week. I loved watching the false pearling as oxygen would destroy the algae cells surrounding the plant.
The false pearling appears to be caused by low O2/gas of the replacement water. This forces the gas inside the plants to come out. It's the osmotic pressure gradient attempting to reach equilibrium. One way to test if your water is low in O2/gas is to aerate it for a couple of hours to increase the O2 content. If this stops the pearling after a water change, then it suggests that your water is low in O2/gas out of the tap.

Did exposing the moss to air actually kill off the brush algae?
Solcielo lawrencia is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Algae Grower
 
aprildawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 94
I don't know what kind of algae I have but it will not brush off my anubia. I pulled my anubia out of the water last night for about 20 minutes & then put it back in. The algae doesn't look so hot. I think that air definately had an affect on it. I am going to try again & see what happens.
aprildawn is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Centennial,Co
Posts: 1,836
I use a soft toothbrush on my anubias. Also I spray it with a very dilute mixture of h2o2 and water.
BruceF is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome