I am battling an outbreak of (i think) black beard algae and green algae. After reading online articles and forum posts, I still think I should post here as I would like a customised solution. Would appreciate if anybody give me some advice on how to cleanse the tank and also treat root cause! My setup is below, thank you!
Tank size: 60 gallons. 120 cm x 45 cm x 45 cm.
Lighting: 1 x Arcadia T5 Original Tropical Plant Pro (pink light), 6 hours daily
Substrate and fert: Seachem Flourite Original, about 3cm deep. Seachem flourish tabs distributed evenly and buried in substrate. No liquid fert. No CO2.
Filter: Eheim Classic 2217, but with extra holes drilled and outlet facing tank to drastically reduce flow. The flow does not affect the fish or plants.
Fish: 4 discuses, 5 Rummies, 6 Sterbai cories. No sign of disease.
Feeding regime: Hikari bloodworms daily as breakfast, Hikari discus bio-gold daily as dinner.
Plants: Swords - 3 x E. Bleheri, 1 x E.Red Flame
Ferns – 3 x Java fern (in pots)
Crypts – 1 x Crypt. Wendtii (green), 2 x Crypt. Wendtii (g. gecko)
Vallisnera – 3 x Vallis. Cockscrew (came in 3 pots)
Hygrophilia – 6 x Hygrophilia (refer to picture for exact species)
PWC frequency: I do a 25% PWC weekly.
Water parameters: The tank is cycled. I condition the tap water with Sera Super Peat and Almond leaves before doing PWCs.
The water parameters are maintained at around:
Tank water parameters from my area if you want to know more: http://www.pub.gov.sg/general/waters...gWQReport.aspx
-I have not gravel vacuum since I started the tank 3 months ago.
-I added a little coral sand to act as a buffer.
-Tank contains driftwood.
-Fish were quarantined and plants were dipped in 1/20 beach solution prior to introduction to main tank.
-I can only test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, KH and GH – no test kits for ferts.