The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help with algae identification

682 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Xiaozhuang 
#1 ·
I recently started up a 7.5 gal, the cycle is about 2 weeks in, I added a few otos and some plants. Recently I began to notice algae growth on my DHG and hairgrass, there is also some light growth on rocks and gravel, I suspect this is blue-green algae but I would like a second opinion from you guys.

I've attached a picture of the DHG and rock in the background.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It's really fine and tough to see on the DHG but it's there. Damn...BGA seems like a real pain, would the tank not being fully cycled have anything to do with it? The Finnex light is considered medium and it only runs for around 6 or 7 hours a day so I don't think it is low light, I need to check my nitrates but what would be considered low nitrate?

#4 ·
i don't think the rock has blue green algae on it. usually blue gree algae is slimy. the stuff on the rock looks like regualr dust algae or green spot algae. if it were BG algae, i know that ADA has a solution of sprinkling a bit of their bacter 100 on it. my friend has done it before and it cleared it up. im not sure if it works on other algaes though. but you can always get some shrimp, i know mine would love to graze on that type of algae. either amanos of cherry shrimp would work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.