The Planted Tank Forum banner

Algae invasion or Snail infestation>?

Algae infestation vs Snail infestation?

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  EddyBearr 
#1 ·
Well you almost never have both simultaneously. I recently had a ramshorn invasion in one of my tanks and the algae was completely wiped out in a matter of days. Never seen my tank this clear of algae in my life....I've decided that (as much as I use to despite snails) I'd rather have the latter.

#3 ·
ehehe common, algae is the worst thing in a planted tank. When I newly set up my tank I had a snail bloom, every morning before the lights turned on I squash like 10s everyday. After a few months their number went to normal. Overall though, snails are beneficial arent they? Id have snails all over my plants than algae any day.

#7 ·
I have few issues with algae, I have many issues with snails, I would love to have every one killed in every tank, without killing the shrimp and plants.

I can net out the amano shrimp, the RCS/Fires, I can net a few out and kill the rest without much concern, have not found anything that can do this, kill the snails, but not the plants.

Some loaches perhaps.
Zebra loaches I might resort to.

#8 ·
I have few issues with algae, I have many issues with snails
My point EXACTLY. The two problems (almost) never co-exist....snails consume algae. And as prolific as snails can be at least they're tangible and finite, not to mention you can ultimately clear them via a piece of vegetable or a hungry puffer.

In the end I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side.

#17 ·
I can't call my experiences with either infestations as such as my tank is still quite new. However, I have both in smaller numbers and just transferred some from my 45l to my 180 l to see if they will help with the algae.

I'd rather have snails as I'm getting DP's soon :)

I couldn't crush them though. They are as much a part of my little ecosystem as anything else.

#18 ·
I have tons of snails, and an algae problem. I almost always have both :( But I'm just getting into caring extensively about plants.

The snails do a good job of eating dead plants, so I like that about them. Plus they'll eat excess food, and eat algae, all while producing plant foods. Overall a major benefit if you ask me. I've never seen them chomp away at healthy plants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.