Another diatom solution.
Okay first off I'd just like to appologize for any poor photos as it was not my initial intention to write this up.
Note the difference in the substrate in the 2 pictures. The first one there is a nice shade of brown on the substrate with no reflectivity and on the second it appears to be nice and shinny. Also look at the silicone if possible.
Here is the short version. After reading up on many of the solutions people gave to rid your tank of the diatoms I embarked on a quest to find ghost shrimp and OTTO's. No luck I still made a trip to petco and picked up 3x 2" chinese algae eaters(if you have other fish I recommend discarding them once your problem is under control as they will be agressive when they get bigger; they'll also eat the slime coat off other fish ultimately killing them). I did not really see much info on these fish(guessing because of their harmful nature to other fish) so I went out on a limb and it worked.
I saw that there were mixed results when trying others suggestions, so I decided to couple them all together.
I reduced my lights to 4hrs a day added a DIY CO2 placed a powerhead in the tank along with my algae eaters and scraped off what I could on the glass and plants while not disturbing my substrate. 4 days later almost no sign of algae on the glass none visable on the substrate still a little left on the driftwood and fine leafed plants.
Here is the story in full if you fancy reading. I'll be refering the diatoms as algae up to the point when I figured out what it really was.
I noticed during cycling(fishless and no plants) my tank that I had a really harsh brown growth all over everything glass and gravel. Naturally (maybe a mistake on my part) left the lights on the timer and left it alone until I noticed the algae. I first cut the lights completely off for a few days and made a huge mistake by stirring it up in the substrate. I came back to it a few days later turned the lights on and hardly any algae so I left them on the timer again though it was hard to tell because of the color of the substrate. With in 24hrs the glass was now covered and my substrate was a deep dark brown. This went on for a couple weeks(while my driftwood was curing which is in my journal).
So after a couple of weeks of going through this process of black outs on the tank, my plants finally came in. I ended the blackouts after planting. Only a couple days later they're covered by the algae. I try scraping the glass and sifting the gravel(huge mistake). I was having to do this every day.
I ended up having to leave for the weekend to come back to a completely brown tank. This is when I hopped on here and started to look for the same isssue I was having. I stumbled across a diatom thread which many people gave the common solution. It'll go away on its own; I myself try to be very proactive so naturally I want it gone ASAP. I did find other suggestions for people like myself such as: OTTO's, amono shrimp, ghost shrimp, more blackouts while upping CO2 and creating more current in the tank. All of these seemed to have mixed results. That very same day I set out on a search for OTTO's and ghost shrimp. To no surprise nothing even remote to my location had either(being a sunday and all) or I wasn't talking to the right people. Eitherway I set out to the closest locations(45miles away) to petsmart and petco just to see what they had. I ended up picking up 3 chinese algae eaters. Came straight home and put them in the tank. I cleaned up as much as I could off of the glass and plants while leaving the substrate alone. Added my DIY CO2 a day later and the powerhead to help disolve it. I also reduced my lighting to 4hrs a day as I was not comfortable with doing a full black out period because of the plants being semi freshly planted. It's now been four days and hardly any sign of the diatoms with the exception of a little bit still remaining on the driftwood and fine leafed plants.