I have a few questions about salvaging my awesome rocks.
Recently my tank had become infested with the blue-green cyanobacteria, "BGA" whatever you want to call it...and I was able to remedy this and my tank is fine, however my rocks are not. I took them out of the tank and set them aside, a month later remembering that I had just let them sit in a bucket to dry.
Now I have these pretty rocks with a coat of dried BGA on them. My parents, who both hold a PHD in Chemistry, have assured me that it's alright to soak these in bleach water to kill off the scum. After that, I'd just soak them in de-chlor water for a while, to make sure all the chlorine has been removed from the porous rocks.
Seemed legit to me, coming from Chemists. But these aren't zoology chemists, they're big oil/big pharma chemists; both have attitudes like "oh well, if it kills your fish just buy some more fish". These are the same people who also told me "instead of wasting money on a water testing kit, just buy a cheap fish and throw it in there to see if it lives". (You have no idea what it's like having people like this as parents).
Anyway, I digress...this isn't a therapy session! My question: is it alright to bleach these, thoroughly de-chlor them, and reuse them? Or shall I try another method. Perhaps vinegar?
: What type of rocks are these? I was thinking some type of limestone... Not sure though.
Sorry for the long post I've been drinking. Thank you! <3