Soup. Pea soup. Unreal.... HELP!!!!
I'm new to this. I get that.
But Algae has never been an issue. We've had up to 9 tanks... all sparkling. Its been heavenly.
On my Black Monster - the 90g... its just unreal.
The tank goes into this dive - where it get cloudy-ish, to darker - to SOUP. Full on green fuzz on the glass. This takes HOURS. This tank crashes hard.
I have staggered the lighting... so its not on full ZOT for 8 hours. I thought I had this thing together. Tonight, it crashed.
I have green fuzz on the glass, the water is unclear. It took a few hours today. I finally killed all the lights - I can't look at this thing right now.
What is going on? Diadems? Phosphates? Voodoo?
Seriously - I'm perplexed. I'm doing nothing different to this tank. Sump, light, w/c, fish... this isn't that complicated.
Water chemistry from my drip test kit is great - no Amm, no Ni and very low Na.
I can't handle draining and scraping every 4 days. Making me nuts when every other tank in the house is sparkling.
I'm so glad I found this thread.
I think factors exacerbating the Algae Farm:
This tank gets remarkable light. I've started lighting in shifts with all three shifts on for a very short time (maybe 2 hours). Total light is about 8 hours a day. Just PAR metered it... lots of light in this tank. Full CO2, EI, etc.
My take is there are simply not enough plants to fight off the Algae advance. The repens cover maybe 20% if the substrate, the very young Blyxa another 20%, the very young Dwarf Sag another 40%... that leaves tons of space with nothing growing. Acres of empty substrate. Just the edges with the Vals and the Appos and the Crypts.
I'm thinking of putting some uber fast growing stuff unto the sump (like Elodea), and lighting it off cycle - so I can get the benefits of monster plant growth without impacting the DT.
First comes the 1,2 Punch.
- I put together some pipe - and I'll run the drain from the overflow into a 5G bucket! I'll drop my pump in there - completely bypassing the sump and its huge Bene Bacto supply!
OK - here are some photos of this vexing vermin.
That sharp line must be where I cleaned this weekend.
Finishing the Sump Bypass, and will dose with Hydro in a bit.
I'll be back to share results.
* Edit *
Here is the before:
Here is the after - immediately after re-filling and dosing with Excel.