Well so far, as you guys said, the mosses seem to be taking it well. The Spiro, BBA, GDA/GSA, and hair algae seem to be taking it rough already. I really didnt expect this stuff to kill Blanket Clado. I am going to wait the recommended 3 days, then im going to nuke the crap out of the mosses and Clado and see what it takes to kill them. Any suggestions on a starting overdose amount? Tom says he spot treated, then refilled the tank and the moss didnt die so im guessing it will take alot. 5X the recommended amout to start?
Cladophora is relatively easy if you can get at it, but if it's infested the moss, you might as well treat it like a Riccia infestation............pick pick pick.
I'll add this here
i've done two doses of this, once before my water change, and once after. i've been dosing excel because my co2 distributer's compressor was down and i was without co2 for 2 weeks. needles to say, i got some hair and black algae on some leaves. i was lss concerned with black as it just needed to be trimmed off. the rotala looked pitiful and i didn't want to thrash that plant.
i missed a few spots of the black algaes when i did my water change this past time. tuesday was water day so i performed my trimmings, changed my filter pads after stirring up all the muck i could, chagned 80% water. added ferts, 3 ml of the tetra algaecide. and my co2 is back up and running. i continued my dosage of excel which was 5ml. lights were turned back to full on, instead of half (4 bulb fixture)
by thursday the few strands of black algae in the tank were red. TO MY UTTER SURPRISE. i'd love to get some samples to sewingalot. under bleach this stuff turns green. but its dead and red, and brittle at this point and rubs of with my fingernail now.
oh and my hair algae went POOF.. rotala is making a sharp recovery with lights and co2 back to where they should be
This is good news to hear. I like that some folks are sharing their experiences. Its not like ALL of us havent experienced the algae plague at some point. Useful information like this is what helps others to keep their stuff free and clear of the plague. As has been stated, Its no substitute for good practice, but sometimes you need that quick fix or boost to get things going back in the right direction. With that being said, I am going to switch water in the cups and give it another 3 days of treatment. Pictures to come tonight.
I didnt put up the pics of the rest of the mosses that I shot the first round because they werent affected by the treatment at all. If one should start to show distress, ill post it up. Its nice to know some of these more delicate mosses arent affected by it. I was sure they would be. At least somewhat
Yes, the tank this was pulled from has Co2. You are right, I didnt want to treat the whole tank with the possibility of melting down all the Mini Rose, so these are specimen containers(deli cups). Im not sure how much impact that will have versus a tanks conditions.
EDIT: In a tank I should still be dosing the ferts at regular dose right?
I want to caution you once again, Chad. I wouldn't go beyond this last series of treatments for awhile. The problems I had happened when I ignored the directions on the bottle and went past the 3 day dosing/once a week top off. I went daily for a week, and that's when I got into trouble. YMMV of course. I would also continue fertilizing as well.
The bottle says 1 ml per 10g every three days. I am running it like this for now. I am going to up the dose to see if I can damage the Clado without damaging the moss later on, but its per directions for now. Its all experimental in cups for now. Theres no way I would risk the contents of ANY of my tanks for the price of a ten dollar bottle of evil.
Now im impressed. I see some of the tips on the blanket Clado is clear. AKA, dead. I already feel like ive won the battle of getting my moss collection back in order. Saving it from hair algae was the biggest battle and this is just a bonus effect. Some of the MP is hard to separate from the Clado it got from being split up and tied on a dowel rod.