My tank keeps on going from one form of algae to the next. I have a low tech 46 gallon bow that I am doing dry ferts on. I was battling BGA. I switched the photoperiod to 8 hours and changed my lights so I am running dual coralife T5NO fixtures with a 6700 and 10000 bulbs. The BGA is pretty much gone. Now I have hair algae. The tank is 21 inches tall. What can I do to get rid of the hair algae? I have nerite snails and the tank houses a piranha. Should I try raising the lights off the tank? Thanks
Where is your hair algae located? I took out fake decorations and scrubbed it off and scraped it off the side of the tank while I had a hose siphon out the water underneath the scraper, and trimmed off leaves of plants that had the algae on it. I also lowered the light cycle to 6.5 hours and I have CO2 injection so that helps as well.
IIRC true SAE's will eat hair algae. There could be excess iron in your water (are you using tap?) I was overdosing Fe because I wasn't paying attention to my dosing (was doing heaping scoops instead of level scoops) and that caused some hair algae, that and I didn't have that many plants in my tank to take up the fertz.