The Planted Tank Forum banner

Question

987 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Dman911 
#1 ·
I've been dealing with some hair algae. I just completed a 5 day black out. No co2, lights, ferts, nada. I'm turning the lights and co2 back on. Lights was a plus pro for four hours and a ray 2 for 6 hours.

I am reducing light to 4 hours, co2 on for about an hour before lights on, drop checker will be light green, about a full point of ph drop with 4 dkh water.

Should I start right back where ferts were? Was using about 1/2 tsp of kno3, and a 1/6 of k2so4 and kh2po4 in a 60 gallon aquarium

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ferts or not your gonna keep getting it if you do not reduce your light intensity

You sure sure sure you need that ray 2 in there? positive?

Not convinced!! It was a Tim taylor moment if you will. The plus pro is a 36 inch'er

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the dimensions of your tank? As @StrungOut suggested it may be a lighting intensity but I would think its probably a combination of light and Co2, ferts and quite possibly flow. Can you give pics, tank parameters and tank dimensions. if your at 24" high tank then the Ray2 is probably not the sole cause. I also run a ray2 on my 55gal 24"high and it puts me about 40-50 par at the substrate. When was the last time you refreshed your 4dkh fluid?

Dan

It is a marineland 60 so I think 24 inches high. I have a 2117 with spray bar on one end, it has the reactor. The other end has an aquatop canister. I go back and forth with this one between spray bar and no spray bar. I have a power head on a timer that comes on with the light

I think it is 48x13x24

My tap is about 3-5dkh and 4-5dgh. Our water supply comes from a river

I keep nitrate in the 5-15 ppm range and phosphate about 2

I do need to change fluid in drop checker. I don't really trust it, don't know why. I watch my fish and test ph to try to stay about 30ppm on co2

I appreciate any and all help. I read incessantly, I jump in head first, full immersion always. Patience is a struggle

#3 ·
What are the dimensions of your tank? As @StrungOut suggested it may be a lighting intensity but I would think its probably a combination of light and Co2, ferts and quite possibly flow. Can you give pics, tank parameters and tank dimensions. if your at 24" high tank then the Ray2 is probably not the sole cause. I also run a ray2 on my 55gal 24"high and it puts me about 40-50 par at the substrate. When was the last time you refreshed your 4dkh fluid?

Dan

This post has been deleted
#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Plant health is bad partially due to being blacked out last week. I will see if I can get Photobucket to cooperate

I'm in a little bit of a transition. Don't mind the mattenburg. I will be moving my high tech stuff to a 55 that I am in process of getting lined out. I'm trying to understand my issues here so I can maybe get a better start with the other one. This will be Val's crypts and swords with barbs plecos and my rainbow cichlids

The Val's give an idea of flow at the top. When the powerhead comes in the rams run to a cave

Sorry. I dose micros occasionally. I'm a little confused by what is right

#7 ·
I would also trim any dying and remove dead plants, leave the powerhead 24/7, reduce the lighting intensity at least in part and try to keep things as stable as possible same light, Co2, ferts and flow. remove as much algae manually as possible and continue to trim any dying portions. Keeping it stable in all areas is key and giving it time to recover. It won't be algae free and have good plant health in a couple days but as long as you are keeping up and seeing new healthy growth your on the right track.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.