The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fight Algae Before Adding Fish

628 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dukydaf 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

So I'm at the point where my tank has cycled and I was hoping to add some fish this weekend but I noticed in the last day or so what I think is green dust algae on the glass.

Is it worth holding off on adding fish until I have this figured out and under control or will it not make a difference to add a few fish, 8-10 small schooling fish in a 55 gallon.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Aflac

#2 ·
New set-ups typically go through a few algae "phases" during the first few months. A GDA outbreak is common early on.

If conditions are right - happy plants, clean environment, not too much light, etc - it will most likely disappear on it's own after 2-3 weeks.

Adding fish or not doesnt matter as far as algae is concerned

#3 ·
Well not having fish in a new aquarium allows you to play with the levels of CO2 without worry, maybe this is the reason for your algae. Fish are also sources of ammonia which are reportedly linked to algae blooms.

Even if the aquarium is cycled, the bacteria numbers adjust with some lag to the amount of food available. In other words, do not add too many fish at once. I would start with a few hardy fish, then the algae eating crew and finally the large main sp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.