Vibrant for freshwater - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Vibrant for freshwater

Has anybody tried Vibrant in their planted tank for algae control? It works wonders in my reef tanks for eliminating all forms of problem algae. I just had a minor issue with hair algae but based on the hundreds of posts I have read it also eliminates diatoms, cyano, dinos, bryopsis, etc. I just noticed they also sell it for freshwater planted tanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Nobody has used it? I am shocked due to the popularity it has on the reef side. I might have to order a bottle and give it a try :-)
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:03 PM
Planted Member

Do you know the ingredients? It is probably the same as Algaefix.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was just looking into it...it says it's 95% cultured bacteria.Algae eating bacteria? If it works,it'd be far better than using a chemical solution.

The site says they are an aquarium service company,and they developed this for their own use,but had so many requests for it,they decided to sell it.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The ingredients are:

95% Cultured Bacteria Blend
1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)
0.5% Vinegar
3.5% RO/DI Water

It worked within 2 weeks in my reef tank removing all hair algae. Within one dose, the weekly brown/green dusting on the glass totally disappeared. I now use it weekly as a maintenance dose. There have been a lot of tests done using different types of algae, viewing the samples under a microscope as the Vibrant was being added. The bacteria does seem to totally consume the algae over time. The only downside so far is that it can only be ordered from one place, directly from the company. I want to try the freshwater version....I just want somebody else to try it first lol.
ibebian likes this.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Interesting product and I was doing some looking on the net to see if there was much info. Seems to be a changing/shifting situation , there. When I first saw your post a few days back, I found their site and prices but they showed out of stock.
Along with that I also found on both sides as always. Some loved it and some that said it was "snake oil"! Normal for reviews so I deferred and now I look at their site and find no prices and no info on ordering. Meanwhile a check of Amazon and I find it listed but with a massive markup on price. Normal situation , there as well!

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-Fresh...ant+freshwater

Only four left in stock, so rush right now so you don't miss out!
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 02:38 PM
Algae Grower

Would this work in the same way as Red Sea NO3/Po4 Remover ???
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Interesting product and I was doing some looking on the net to see if there was much info. Seems to be a changing/shifting situation , there. When I first saw your post a few days back, I found their site and prices but they showed out of stock.
Along with that I also found on both sides as always. Some loved it and some that said it was "snake oil"! Normal for reviews so I deferred and now I look at their site and find no prices and no info on ordering. Meanwhile a check of Amazon and I find it listed but with a massive markup on price. Normal situation , there as well!

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-Fresh...ant+freshwater

Only four left in stock, so rush right now so you don't miss out!
I actually ordered it direct from their site yesterday so I will try it out as soon as it arrives. I agree, there are reviews on both sides of the fence but they were overwhelming positive, at least on the reef side. The only review I have seen for the freshwater side was on the amazon link you sent me.....and it wasn't good lol.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerthesnowman View Post
Would this work in the same way as Red Sea NO3/Po4 Remover ???
Yes it is similar to NoPox (they are both bacterial based) but the types of bacteria are different. I read a comparison between the two products a while back (which I cannot find now) but it stated the similarities and differences.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm sure you have almost as many questions as answers at this point but I am wondering how it will work. Reading about Algaefix, leads me to wonder how it does when the algae dies. Do we have lots of dead debris to deal with creating an ammonia spike or does it work around that point?
So when/if you do get hands on and learn more about it, please do let us know how it works for you.
Magic is often invented so maybe it turns out great? If man was meant to fly he would have been born with wings is one that comes to mind! Maybe we are not actually doomed to live in dread of an algae takeover?
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I'm sure you have almost as many questions as answers at this point but I am wondering how it will work. Reading about Algaefix, leads me to wonder how it does when the algae dies. Do we have lots of dead debris to deal with creating an ammonia spike or does it work around that point?
So when/if you do get hands on and learn more about it, please do let us know how it works for you.
Magic is often invented so maybe it turns out great? If man was meant to fly he would have been born with wings is one that comes to mind! Maybe we are not actually doomed to live in dread of an algae takeover?
Well I can say, when I used it successfully in my reef tank, there is a die off that, for many, caused a cyano outbreak. The directions direct from the company representative is to continue dosing and the cyano will also disappear. I did not have that issue since I made a couple of changes during the treatment period such as wet skimming and larger water changes. I did not experience any increased ammonia or nitrites though.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 08:48 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waters View Post
The ingredients are:

95% Cultured Bacteria Blend
1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)
0.5% Vinegar
3.5% RO/DI Water

It worked within 2 weeks in my reef tank removing all hair algae. Within one dose, the weekly brown/green dusting on the glass totally disappeared. I now use it weekly as a maintenance dose. There have been a lot of tests done using different types of algae, viewing the samples under a microscope as the Vibrant was being added. The bacteria does seem to totally consume the algae over time. The only downside so far is that it can only be ordered from one place, directly from the company. I want to try the freshwater version....I just want somebody else to try it first lol.

Just ordered some will let you know.
Bananableps likes this.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Does anyone know if the freshwater product is the same formula as the reef product? Looking at images of the back of the bottle, it just says "Cultured Bacteria Blend". I'm not a microbiologist, but it would be interesting to know if this bacteria could do as well in freshwater as it does in salt. Most organisms are specialized for one or the other. An example is mangroves: they can thrive in freshwater, but not if they have to compete with other freshwater plants.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:31 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananableps View Post
Does anyone know if the freshwater product is the same formula as the reef product? Looking at images of the back of the bottle, it just says "Cultured Bacteria Blend". I'm not a microbiologist, but it would be interesting to know if this bacteria could do as well in freshwater as it does in salt. Most organisms are specialized for one or the other. An example is mangroves: they can thrive in freshwater, but not if they have to compete with other freshwater plants.

just e-mail them and ask , Jeff replied right away to me .
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerthesnowman View Post
just e-mail them and ask , Jeff replied right away to me .
I would if I had an algae problem
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Algae Grower

I've used it on my reef tank and had good results. Did end up having a major cyano outbreak, but that has pretty much gone away. Search one of the main saltwater reef forums. They have a thread that is 3 months old with over 2600 posts. Mostly positive results.

I've thought about buying the freshwater version and doing maintenance doses, but like OP, couldn't find any reviews for it.

30 Gallon Long - In Progress

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode