What causes BBA? It's killing me! - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This is the wrong hobby to thing you can go sterile. The spore will not be denied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Also just from personal experience, big thing for me that that keeps away bba specifically, is maintaining very clean conditions with no organic waste or decaying matter laying around, this includes any dead or dying plant leaves.
I change my water at the most 1x a month. Consequently bottom dwellers can not live in my tank. I definately have organic waste in the tank. Another thing I have done which keeps BBA under control is that I switched from feeding flake food to pellet food.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
One is stop dosing phosphate and see if it moves in the right direction. I have the feeling that you will still be getting phosphate in the fish food but at least it may be a lower level.
This is especially true if the city is dosing phosphates in the water. Have found that Java fern and moss love phosphates. Thus the few that kill Java ferns don't have enough phosphates in their water. Since I have switched to New Life Spectrum pellet food I have not seen BBA.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
For a couple of months I ignored P as possibly being the problem because, well too much isnt supposed to hurt anything. But as soon as I got the levels down to a more appropriate range (1-3 ppm or so) several nagging issues went away almost immediately. The tank literally exploded with growth under a monsoon of pearling.
The EI and PPS fert regiments suggest dosing with phosphates. This is why I don't like regimented fert schedules.
post #63 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 02:54 PM
Algae Grower

What causes BBA? It's killing me!

I agree with most of the points already listed. Also ensure you have good flow in all areas of the tank.

In my experience, unless it is a small isolated amount BBA needs to be physically removed and then prevented rather than just curing it. Even if that means cutting of large sections of plants and/or removing substrate. It's like trying to stop someone catching a cold when they're sitting next to someone with one. You need to remove the physical and when work on prevention.

So far I haven't seen BBA again

I use Easy Carbo and it hasn't failed me.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

post #64 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Have seen black brush algae in tank's of mine holding nothing but gravel and cichlid's so plant's introducing the stuff in my case was not the issue.
Have seen it in store tank's as well with no plant's only fishes.
I do not doubt that plant's may carry spores with them, but suppose the plant's we purchase came from tank's with no algae, or tank was started and run for month's without issues or new plant's being introduced.
Has to be a trigger in my view ,and considering lot's of folk's over feed,over stock,perhaps are lazy at times with maint,and often times blast the lighting upon the plant's, while maybe not being able to also increase CO2 and nutrient's,,it might create such a trigger with excess organic matter in filter's,on substrate, and plant's that are struggling for More CO2 and or nutrient's due to possibly all of the above.
Seldom see the stuff in true Guru's tank's where everything is kept meticulously clean.(hmm)
I am often troubled by how the stuff appear's on hard object's like filter inlet /outlet pipes and maybe on one rock out of many,or one piece of wood out of a few.
Hoppy and Hilde like this.
post #65 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Have seen black brush algae in tank's of mine holding nothing but gravel and cichlid's so plant's introducing the stuff in my case was not the issue.
I often wonder if the spores are in the water. I don't think ever goes away. Just like no tank has no algae. It is just a matter of keeping it under control. For example the BBA was gone but it attacked 1 of my plants. It just love to suck the nutrients up of some plants. Seems a bit like how misquotes bit some people constantly and not others.
post #66 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It grows right inside a ceramic diffuser where the co2 is coming out, LOL. It also grows as @roadmaster stated on inlet/outlet tubes. On these structures as well as slow growing/dying plants there is a buildup of organics. Yes if you take a good macro shot of plastic inlets/outlets you will see all the crevices available for organic buildup. It's like live blood worms for BBA.

The BBA spores are there, aren't they even in tap water, possibly air. You can't stop them, nothing has stopped them for billions of years. It's the right conditions that transform them into algae.
Tinanti, Hilde and IntotheWRX like this.
post #67 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
The BBA spores are there, aren't they even in tap water, possibly air. You can't stop them, nothing has stopped them for billions of years. It's the right conditions that transform them into algae.
Finally someone agrees with me.
houseofcards likes this.
post #68 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 04:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

We see that in trout streams. There is an algae in streams commonly called snot rock. They used to believe it was transferred from streams by fly fisherman's waders and boots. States even banned certain types of boot soles. Current studies tell us that was not the case at all. Scientists now believe the algae spores were always there but did not grow until conditions in the streams were right.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Hilde and houseofcards like this.
post #69 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Enjoy that warm feeling while you can! Tomorrow is another day.

I'm intrigued by the idea that flake food could be an invitation to BBA. What could be the reason for that? I have fed flake food for many years, and I have had varying amounts of BBA for many years. That, of course, doesn't mean anything, but if there is a theoretical reason why flake food could be a problem that would certainly be interesting.

Hoppy
post #70 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I'm intrigued by the idea that flake food could be an invitation to BBA. What could be the reason for that? .
A lot of flake foods have phosphates in them. I tend to overfeed my fish.
post #71 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I feel your pain.

Quote:
Enjoy that warm feeling while you can! Tomorrow is another day.
post #72 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
A lot of flake foods have phosphates in them. I tend to overfeed my fish.
I have, for years, dosed double the EI dosage for phosphate, to avoid green spot algae. Occasionally I have gone back to the standard dosage, and the GSA immediately shows up. During that time I have had minimal BBA, with the most when I have higher light or fluctuating CO2 or Excel levels. I doubt that phosphate is a cause of BBA, but I think it is worth some experimenting to either reinforce my doubt or make it questionable. To be continued.....
Hilde likes this.

Hoppy
post #73 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I have, for years, dosed double the EI dosage for phosphate, to avoid green spot algae. Occasionally I have gone back to the standard dosage, and the GSA immediately shows up. During that time I have had minimal BBA, with the most when I have higher light or fluctuating CO2 or Excel levels. I doubt that phosphate is a cause of BBA, but I think it is worth some experimenting to either reinforce my doubt or make it questionable. To be continued.....
Very interesting!! I believe the main reason is the quality of the tap water. For people whom have well have an easy time with plants, from what I have read.
post #74 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 12:25 AM
Algae Grower

i had a perfectlly healthy tank with lots of plants in it, and yet it still had BBA grew on the wood.
and now in my new minimalist tank, which I don't add macro nutrient at all, it has BBA as well.

debris and organic matter tend to accumulate on hardscape, especially wood. if you touch the wood , you can feel it covered with slime. i believe this is bacteria colony. BBA love this (concentrated nutrient). notice that BBA NEVER grow on glasses. And I don't think i have seen BBA grows on rock either. has anyone? probably because woods are porous material, it collects organic matter & bacteria better.
post #75 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm with you here. Not too long ago the co2 on my high tech EI ferts tank went empty. I was busy and it might have been 3 or 4 days. Let me tell, I saw varieties of algae I have never, ever seen before. Sprung up out of no where. Had some long wavy stuff on the front glass. No other changes, no new plants, just the right conditions.

And by the way, this ties into a comment earlier in this thread in regard to co2 being an algaecide. While I don't believe it is an algaecide, turn it off on your high tech tank and you will see it's presence has an effect that can't be denied.
Filet-O-Fish likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode