The Planted Tank Forum banner

Algae and plants dying please help

995 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Algonquin 
#1 ·
I currently have a 30G tank set up with plants for 5 months now. Within the past week it has gotten brown algae growing in it and also the plants went from green and full to limp and brown.

I have Flourish root tabs, flourish excel, and liquid co2 by seachem.
The lights i am using are 3, 14W bulbs at 6000 Kelvin each that are on for 8 hours a day.
Although there is a window close to the tank that might be letting more sunlight in? I was also feeding the fish once a day.

Could anyone tell me what my problem could be or some solutions to this.
Thank you.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi Algonquin,

The root tabs dissolve fairly slowly so there is probably some still left. However, possibly they are not dissolving as quickly as the plants need the nutriments. I say that because the light looks fairly bright and if the plants don't get enough nitrogen they will turn yellow.

have Flourish root tabs, flourish excel, and liquid co2 by seachem
Seachem Excel and liquid CO2 by Seachem are the same thing.....you are just dosing Flourish root tabs and Excel? If so, possibly some additional nutrients will resolve the issue. Seachem makes Seachem Comprehensive which doesn't have a lot of nitrogen but if that is the issue the plants should show improvement. It also as a light of micro-nutrients such as iron which a lack will also cause yellowing.

#6 · (Edited)
Hi Algonquin,

The root tabs dissolve fairly slowly so there is probably some still left. However, possibly they are not dissolving as quickly as the plants need the nutriments. I say that because the light looks fairly bright and if the plants don't get enough nitrogen they will turn yellow.

Seachem Excel and liquid CO2 by Seachem are the same thing.....you are just dosing Flourish root tabs and Excel? If so, possibly some additional nutrients will resolve the issue. Seachem makes Seachem Comprehensive which doesn't have a lot of nitrogen but if that is the issue the plants should show improvement. It also as a light of micro-nutrients such as iron which a lack will also cause yellowing.

Sorry about that I meant to say Seachem flourish and Seachem Excel along with the root tabs. Thank you for the input I'll look for it at my local fish store.

Bump:
Which light fixtures are those 14W bulbs in ?
I am using a homemade build that you see in the picture below. The bulbs are CFLS 14W, 900 Lumens, 5000-6000K and are all on for 8 hours.
I also have 23 W, 1600 Lumens, 5000K temp at home should I give those a try?

Thank you.

Attachments

#7 ·
That is your problem. Not enough light. I suspected it when I saw the stemmed
plants. This is a link to charts for the CFL bulbs. Notice the drop when they are used horizontally. On this thread, look at page two Diagram #6
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...al-power-saver-bulbs-lighting-question-2.html
Note that the bulbs are only about 14" from the bottom of those tanks.
You said this is a 30g tank ? Actually listed as 29g correct ? The 29g is about 18" tall
and after sub you would have about 16.5-17". You likely only have about 30 PAR in there. Perhaps just a bit more. The 23W type may be just a bit high, but lowering the hrs can solve that easily.
I'd give the 23W type a try. Just watch how hot the hood gets...
If the plants seem to respond to that then you can see about getting some complete ferts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.