The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Good single stage regulator?
View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
PTrader: (3/100%)
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
When I started out with co2 I bought 2 Micromatics regulators: it was 'cheap' for a brand new one, it was featured on one respected web site as the premium regulator for aquarium co2, I was afraid to buy something used, and it was shiny.

That purchase was a mistake, ~$140 down the drain. After 4 EOTDs, several middle-of-the-night emergency water changes, some dead fish, and countless hours trying to figure out what went wrong I finally replaced both with double-stages. Like every time I try to save $10 I waste a $100.

There are endless debates on 1-stage vs 2-stage, EOTDs, and so on and I don't want another one here, please. BUT this forum is where the information and expertise is - take your time, ask for help, and do it once and save yourself some headache and heartache later.

Given that you have already bought a regulator, do keep an eye on it and the fish once it starts to get empty until it earns your trust. I bet yours will work just fine for the next 40 years with 0 issues, but do prove it to yourself first.
What type of needle valve was on yours that had the EOTD?
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome