The Planted Tank Forum banner

Algae from sunlight

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Django 
#1 ·
So I had my tank in an area where there's a lot of sunlight... Not shining directly into the window, because it's facing the same way the sun shines. Could this be a problem for algae? The problem is theres no where else where I can put the tank lol

#2 ·
I have a planted 10g quarantine in a south-facing window that gets quite a bit of extra light from sunlight. To compensate, my artificial lighting is reduced on this particular tank.

Some even encourage supplementing artificial light with natural sunlight. It's not bad per se. Like all things planted tank, it depends. It could potentially be a problem if it puts your total light levels into algea growing range. Whether it does for your particular set-up depends on a plethora of other factors, so adjust accordingly.

#6 ·
YES! I got a suggestion to go to a framing store and buy backing, for the back of the tank (all black) and now I have blocked one of the sides too.

I just used black construction paper and taped it on. There's a big window a few feet behind the tank. The algae is still in the wings ready to go. I put non-metal sheeting material over my glass top. I''m also concerned that the windows at the other end of the room are driving the algae. Room-darkening shades should do the trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.