The Planted Tank Forum banner

best shops in RI?

12K views 66 replies 23 participants last post by  Linder 
#1 ·
I'm visiting Ri this weekend and what to visit a shop or 2 on the way home its a small state so I guess anything goes. which shops are worth checking out?

#2 ·
There's an AWESOME one on Wickenden St. If you are by the intersection of 95 and Wickenden you would go west and go like 4-5 blocks till you see the aqua building on your right, it's on a corner. If you reach the school on the right / that coffee shop on your left, it is one block back.

Aqua-Life is the name and George and his wife are really wonderful and nice. Super healthy fish (I even brought some Aspidoras I got there back to Boston) and they have pretty good prices on fish as well.

#5 ·
Never went into Rumford because they kept dogs in the windows and I don't like pet stores that do that because it's usually puppy mills but even if it's a real breeder it's not good for the puppies to be around so much noise and being displayed in store windows.

But I think AHill has some association with Rumford Pets and can tell you more; he's definitely around RI though.

#7 ·
I checked out that Aqua-life one the other day after getting lost in Providence, and randomly coming out on Wickenden and it was right in front of me. Funny...i had gone looking for it a week before and gave up not being able to even find Wickenden street...

It was awesome though...probably had the most plants out of any store ive checked out. Almost EVERY tank had some type of live plants in it for sale. Crazy. Had some pretty reasonable prices too. Cheaper bulk prices for the neon tetras and cardinal tetras...was all i was really paying attention to fish-wise. Ill definately be going back.

#10 ·
Creatures creatures creatures was closed last time I checked. Critter Hut on post rd in North Kingston has a great owner/staff. A tad pricy but not horrible. Good healthy selection of fish (SA, African, aggressive/community, and also a nice selection of sw). If you want something they don't have they'll order it for you. Unfortunately they don't refill CO2.

#11 ·
Was in Creatures today. They do have some nice fish, but they recently got in trouble for improper care of puppies..last week I think. The owners seemed much nicer today haha.

Nice fish but I have never seen BBA like that before in my life. Its majestic. 2" strands of it blowing in the wind. Not too much plant-wise though.

#14 ·
Ive known George and Irene ever since I came to Providence (Aqua-life owners on Wikiden Street) and they are very nice and willing to extensively discuss fish with you if you have a question. I buy my shrimp, betta and plants there, the stuff is usually-to-always in good condition, they take good care of their tanks.

Its true though, some stuff are very expensive. But then again, I find that Providence things are just overall much expensive than say, NJ or Georgia. :)

The size is overall pretty decent, a good variety, but don't expect super specific things. I wish they have more shrimp though.

#15 · (Edited)
Aqua Life

Aqua Life in providence is been around for awhile. I been going there for over 25 + years. The owners, George and Irene are both very nice people. If you are looking for plants and the equipment to run them, They have plenty of all that. In this store you will find exotic fish and plants from around the world. If you dont see what you are looking for....just ask and maybe they can get there hands on what you are looking for. As some one said pricey, I do not think so, You get what you pay for. I am the type of guy that will not buy from a Petco or Petsmart because I do not buy my plant that are in a plastic bag sitting on a self. And there fish are ran on a main filtration system that effects all tanks tied to that system.

Ronnie

#16 ·
Aqua Life in providence is been around for awhile. I been going there for over 25 + years. The owners, George and Irene are both very nice people. If you are looking for plants and the equipment to run them, They have plenty of all that. In this store you will find exotic fish and plants from around the world. If you dont see what you are looking for....just ask and maybe they can get there hands on what you are looking for. As some one said pricey, I do not think so, You get what you pay for. I am the type of guy that will not buy from a Petco or Petsmart because I do not buy my plant that are in a plastic bag sitting on a self. And there fish are ran on a main filtration system that effects all tanks tied to that system.

Ronnie
def true, idk why anyone would think they r expensive? they usually have better prices on fish at least, then petcos or most lfs.

#17 ·
They are slightly more expensive on some things, but do have good prices on some stuff too. But any retail location is going to be more expensive when compared to an online resource or big box store. But there is something you get with their store that you will not get other places; Great personal service. Their stock is pretty healthy. And they maintain their tanks well. I don't think I've ever seen a dead fish in there.
They are friendly, knowledgeable, helpful, and will try to talk you out of stuff if they do not think it is a good idea for your tank (over stocking or compatibility issues. And they will explain why). They will go out of their way to help you out and will occasionally give you deals on stuff if you frequent the shop. They can get just about what ever you want if you ask.
Not to mention that you are keeping your money in your community, not adding to the profits of share holders that don't really care about the quality of the service of of the livestock.
They also support the Tropical Fish society of Rhode Island.
The few extra bucks you might spend is well worth it in my opinion.

#21 ·
I was just at Aqualife and I have to say im 50/50 on them. They have a lot of plants but most of them are the same type spread out through their system. They also have a lot of plants that have holes or are otherwise unhealthy. There is also a lack of aquascaping materials every time I go there. They are probably the only place in RI that carries any decent driftwood but most of the time the boxes are empty. If you are planning to go I would go on a weekday if you can because they are super packed on the weekends and you can literally wait an hour and not get helped. I went to buy driftwood this weekend and had some in hand but could not get rung out so I just put it back and left.

That being said Aqualife is probably the best LFS (at least for fresh) in RI which is somewhat sad. They have the best selection of fish by far but some of their prices are high and you can forget about dry goods .. . . . super expensive. The poster above me commented on the great service but tbh I get better service from Marinedepot or someone like Gordon on the swap forums and I get a better price so thats why I find myself just ordering online more and more.

#22 ·
They do have driftwood in that little back room off to the right. Thats where i got my couple of pieces, but yeah ive been in there a good hr before i was able to be checked out. So typically i avoid the weekends and later in the day. Luckily i get off work at 130pm so i can get in there around 2 if i need to go. Im new enough in this hobby that ive bought no fish or plants online. But what i have checked its like $30-$50 to mail anything live. So whether there prices are a bit higher or not i can save on shipping. Any Rhode Islanders have any plants for sale????

#23 ·
I would check with the former "power sellers" they always have the best stuff at the best prices. I have a very good experience with the seller Gordon and have heard good things about H4N.

I think I paid 7-10 dollars shipping from Gordon last time I got plants. If you order when its fairly warm you can get 2 day priority shipping in a flat rate box which is pretty cheap and the plants get through fine.

As far as local people, I have not had any luck with freshwater. There is a pretty decent saltwater community in southern NE but all of the plant clubs are pretty dead it seems. Sometimes you can snag some freshwater gear on Boston Reefers at a good price.

#27 ·
I went to the TFSRI auction last month. It was great. Tons of nice fish, equipment and, some plants (not a lot). I did manage to pick up some subwassertang, and dwarf water lettuce. (The lettuce is out of control but thats another story lol). I only stayed for 3 hours and they still had half of the stuf to get through. If I ever start a cichlid tank I will wait until that aution is near, lots of large/small/pairs/variety going for dirt cheap. There were some cool plecos too but they got bid up pretty quick (goldstar, zebra etc)

#32 ·
I was at the auction last month also it was def a great show with some cool stuff. got some riccia prety cheap and some nice platties. but the scene has totaly died in RI its kind of sad. i never hear about any events anymore and it dosnt help that the web site is crappy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.